Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stromberg 4x2 fuel on a hemi pressure question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Minewithnoshine, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I'm getting ready to dyno my 291 DeSoto hemi and the final part is to get the fuel setup finished. I'm using the Stromberg 3/8" banjo fittings between the carbs, but I'm trying to decide the feed to the carbs. The engine is built pretty stout, it's bored to a 306, 11:1 compression, big solid roller cam, ported 330 heads and topped off with a Weiand 4x2 manifold. All the carbs are original 97's with genuine Stromberg rebuild kits with the new Grose inlet jet. I have an adapter for a mechanical 340 small block Chrysler fuel pump, but the lowest pressure pump I can find is 5.5-6.5 psi. I could try to track down a stock DeSoto fuel pump but the feed is only 1/8" npt instead of 1/4" npt like the modern 340 pumps. Another option is to run a Carter P4070 pump or something of the sort. I have a Holley 1-4 psi regulator, but I really don't care for the look of it honestly, especially for the look of the car, it sticks out bad. Do the new Grose inlet jets allow for a slightly higher fuel pressure? I know the old style inlet jet like 1.5 psi or so. Any experience in a setup like this is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

-Brian

2. Troyz

Troyz

i'm running a small electric pump and a pressure reg. under the car. the pump is mounted on rubber and you can't hear it. I have the reg. set to 2 1.2 psi. the electric pump primes the 97's fast and it fires up instantly every time. I know it's a different direction but it works well. Good luck.

3. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely find yourself a fuel pressure regulator.
    Yes, the "S" jets will tolerate slightly higher pressure, but 5 or 6 lbs will overpower them, which will cause the floats to sink, gas to spew out the tops (think fire hazard), and wash your cylinder walls.
    If you're lucky, you can sometimes find an old Filt-O-Reg at swapmeets or eBay.
    Some of them were fixed at 3 lbs and some were adjustable.
    Stay away from the dial type available at parts stores, unless you need some real excitement in your life (think fire hazard again)...

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What happened to the Edmunds Fuel Pressure regulators they were supposed to be making? Those things would sell like hot cakes!

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

6. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

i'll take 3!

7. mcbay

mcbay

Yea me two ! Thought some one had them for sale. Hope they work as good as they look.

8. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Thanks Uncle Max, good heads up!

Yea, I dig that! The Holley reg just looks like... shit really. If I could hide it somehow I'd use it, but it's too damn bulky to hide and it just screams made in Taiwan.

Wasn't Vintage Speed making the Edmunds regs?

9. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

So I'm thinking I can sculpt the Holley reg with a die grinder to please the eyes a little more and not look so cheap and crappy. I'll see what I come up with tonight

10. 8-Track

8-Track

On My engine i tried to use a carter electric fuel pump with a holley regulator we had nothing but problems with it. so we took out the regulator and all problems were solved using only the fule pump.

Carter electric fuel pump

The world famous Carter P4070 12 volt electric fuel pump features a rotary vane and a 72 gph flow rate. Inlet and outlet size is 1/4 in. NPT and maximum pressure 6 psi. Comes complete with mounting bracket and rubber isolation bushings. Works great with your Stromberg 97s or CG 94s and the Holley fuel pressure regulator. Use the Fuel Pump Relay Kit to prevent voltage drops and maintain constant fuel pressure

11. old A

old A

Holly makes a new regulator, 1-4 psi I run one with a carter fuel pump and six strombergs with 2psi works great.

Attached Files:

12. tpahemi

tpahemi

I have 6 97s. For fuel pressure I use a Holley blue pump, then a Holley 4.5 to 9 psi regulator under the car, set @5psi, the a Holley 1.5 to 4 psi before carbs, set @ 2.5 psi. Seems to work well.

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You know, if someone made a decent vintage looking low pressure fuel reg, they could probably sell one to every guy running strombergs or 94's in the world. I can't believe this hasn't been done yet. I used the cheapo chrome junk one at first and it worked fine but looked awful. I bought an old beat up holley low pressure reg from a hamber and installed that, looked better, but still obviously modern. Looks better if you remove the allen head adjuster and install a standard bolt or something with a knob on it. Eventually realized that with the grosse jets and stock mech fuel pump it's not even needed at all in my case...

14. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

you should be able to use a facet solid state fuel pump which will keep the fuel pressure down to 2psi - no fuel regulator needed. you could also use a filter king regulator which allows pressure to be regulated down to 1.5psi.

15. mcbay

mcbay

These are available from Vintage Speed for around
    60 bucks. I just ordered two for myself to check out.

16. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

The Filter King Regulator looks pretty nice and clean, BUT I can only find it for sale in the UK... I'd like to get my hands on one for sure!

[​IMG]

I'll call Vintage Speed to see if I can get the details on the Edmunds repop regulator.

17. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I was able to track down a Filter King regulator and we'll see how it looks when it gets here, seems like it should be the ticket!

18. mcbay

mcbay

Did you find one for less than $100 shipped from the UK ?

19. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Yea, found one for like $65 shipped I think it was, with the 8mm (5/16) fittings.

20. cruzr

cruzr

They work good

Attached Files:

21. mcbay

mcbay

Thanks , Could you sent me the company name. Much appreciated.

Vintage Speed does not have any of the Edmunds ready at this time.