Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stripping down a banger need suggestions please!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordsteel, Apr 6, 2008.

1. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

This was my first time taking a banger apart. This is what I got done last night. She spins freely and all the studs and bolts came apart easy which was good. Also i could pull the head off after tapping it with a board. I would like some input on building this motor what parts are the best for the money. the motor will just need a honing and rings but i want to hop it up 40's style. What do you recommend for a head and a down flow intake. What compression ratio gives the best drivability and what other upgrades are worth the money to do?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Bump for the night time crowd need help and suggestions so i can form my plan of attack

3. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Thanks alot there I plan on getting machine work done because I want to install hard valve seats and SS steal valves for the unleaded gas. The bottom end is yet to be checked if it needs bearings ill probably line bore it and put in insert bearings. Then a mild compression aluminum head. And a down draft intake with home made headers. On the intake need an opinion on whether or not a 2 carb intake with 94s is over kill i like the look but idk if a single 94 would be better. Im used to building ford Y blocks and such with 3 carb set ups the bangers are new to me. BUT I think they look awsome all dressed up

BY the way im only 20 years old so the bangers got some years on me

4. Hopped up 31

Hopped up 31

Spend some time reading the banger meet threads on here from the past 3 or 4 years. The amount of knowledge these guys have is priceless, you will learn a hell of a lot. Welcome to the banger world and good luck.

5. fordorford

fordorford

Don't worry about non-leaded gas. They didn't have leaded gas when that was new, either.

6. Wildfire

Wildfire

Ways to build HP, not necessarily in this order:
    Port intake
    Bigger valves
    Cam
    Hi compression head, 7:1 or so
    Downdraft carb(s)
    Header

Things I have read and been told, but don't know first hand:
    Work on the induction side first
    Babbit is OK below 4000 rpm or so, some go higher
    Pressure oiling above 3-4000 rpm is a good thing

Read the banger threads - search for posts by Brent in-10-uh-C

7. fordorford

fordorford

I stand corrected. The introduction of lead into gasoline began in 1924. It was used as an antiknock compound.

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

And edit your first post and click "enter" between you pix so that they are below each other and not side by side.

Chris