Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stretching a Model A hood. Info needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I'm looking to stretch a 1930 Model A Coupe hood. Top only, no sides. Want to make it about 5" longer. It looks like some pie cuts will have to be made to adjust for curvature as the top wraps around to the side. Also have to keep the belt line (bead) straight. Has anyone done this, where are the cuts made? Photos, drawings, anything will help.
    Thanks,
    Bob

2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I had a friend do this some year back. He just called Rootlieb and told them what he wanted and within about 2 weeks ... UPS bought it to his door. Fit Perfect !!

3. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Deuce,

Any idea of the price tag?
    Where is Rootlieb located.
    Bob

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Turlock, California. This is really the bast way to go about this deal.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Great advice. If your measurements are correct you'll get a great fit!

6. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I added two inches to the hood of my `30 coupe but it was a two pc stock top. Took a couple of different templates to make the curve come out right and I formed the bead by hammering over a piece of roundstock using a wood block. Worked out ok in the end.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      507.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      537.3 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      353.6 KB
      Views:
    • 010.jpg
      010.jpg
      File size:
      450.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I see that Aerocolor added sheet metal at the nose. I was thinking of making a cut across the hood, midway between the cowl & radiator & adding a patch panel. This will create problems with the curvature of the hood and it's width. I am hoping that pie cuts will solve this.
    Once again I ask, has anyone done this successfully.
    Bob

8. I almost think it would be easier to make a new hood that trying to Frankenstein something back together.....this is just my opinion. :D

9. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

10. David Chandler

David Chandler

I'm glad someone posted this. I will have to do the same sooner or later myself.

11. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

I make custom lengthened hoods.This custom hood and sides for a 34 truck 3" longer than stock.

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

Attached Files:

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice looking hood! I've always wondered how you roll the metal to form the hinge on hoods. Is that something you could explain to us? Also are the long louvers punched or made with a PulMax?:) Bob

13. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I'm sorry to say I haven't got the skills or tools to fabricate a hood from scratch. I can deal with a couple of cuts & welds, but need the basic shape to start with. In addition I am a firm believer in building my own car, it will never be show quality, but it will be mine. Anyone can buy stuff, in fact you can buy the whole completed car for just 20K or so, but what is the fun of that? There is no challenge in writing checks. I'm going to keep working on this until I am satisfied with the result. I may post some photos later, so you all can get a good laugh.

14. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I'm posting some photos, for those interested. I usually have a hard time with photos, but will try

Attached Files:

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

just my 2 cents...5" is a lot

also my opinion..its going to throw the model A proportions way off..
    if looks, and proportions are important to you, you might want to mock this up before you jump that far

16. Now this is the best post I've seen on here in a long time. My sentiments exactly. My build time would have halved if I'd written some checks out, but then I wouldn't honestly be able to say "yeah I built it all myself". I like your attitude, we need more of it.

17. swissmike

swissmike

I don't see how adding in the middle is ever going to get a fair contour, at least at the end it's not as obvious.

18. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Agreed.adding the middle or ends will not work,because you have a set cowl and rad shell end profiles.

19. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

Model A hoods start looking too long when stretched over 3" and the proportions just go downhill after that point unless it`s a lowboy salt flat style build.
    Of course that`s just my opinion.

20. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

I'm building mine too. Stretched about the same. I made the ends using 18 ga. angle, forming the contour with a stretcher.
    Next up is getting on the roller....should be good times. Another alternative would be rough forming and finding a buddy with an English Wheel for the smoothing.

If you need pics of progress, drop me a PM

Pat

21. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Sometimes you have to work with what you have. My chassis was fabricated 3 1/2 inches longer to accommodate an 8 Cyl Flathead. After installing the engine, I found I had to move the radiator 1 inch forward to make room for the fan. I do not like electric fans. I could have moved the motor mounts back, but already had a drive shaft made & trans mounts installed, exhaust system too. It gets complicated. I decided to live with a longer engine compartment. In a few days I will mock up this hood on the car and get a better idea of what it will look like. Worst case is that I go hoodless, which is where I started. You can't knock a guy for trying.

22. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

can you post some pics on this thread,with the hood on the car.thanks

23. Bob,
    I had the same thoughts mounting a y-block in an A. Had the #4 ex port behind the firewall, so I moved the front x-member and m/mounts forward and got fan clearence. Couldn't see putting an A together with the y-block and then add an electric fan. I'll be trying to make a one piece top when the time comes.
    RB

24. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Metalsurgeon,
    It's midnight (Fri.) where I am, I'll see if I can get this hood placed on the car tomorrow & post a photo or two. It may be difficult, I'm working alone & this thing is delicately clamped together.
    Bob

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'm interested in this as well. I may just run a hood top, but it will look good between my '29 sedan body and my '27 Essex grille, and I will metalwork it myself.

26. Demono

Demono

Why would you need to streach it so far. I added 2" to my '31 coupe hood, small block chev, with '32 shell. Added 18 gauge to the front like a patch panel. "simple"