Register now to get rid of these ads!

Strength test - 36 spindles vs. 37-48

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobuckets, Sep 13, 2006.

1. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

I am planning the front end on my 36 pickup project and trying to assemble all the pieces. I picked up 55 ford truck brakes and drums and I found the info to adapt them to 36 spindles (model A piston ring, etc., right) but I heard that the 37-48 spindles are stronger and not to use the 36 spindles. Anyone know?

I plan on running a rebuilt stock suspension or 40 ford spring and stock wishbones. Power is from a y-block. Can I use the 36 spindles safely? or possibly bolt the whole 55 spindle/brake assy to the 36 axle? If this has already been posted, I just couldn't find it.

Thanks,
    ken

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the spindles are exactly the same strength wise, only the shape (square vs round) is different. CYA would be to take them to an inspection service and have them Magnafluxed for cracks.

3. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Thanks, I didn't think about magnafluxing. What about the 55 spindles on the 36 axle? I saw a post the other day with 55 spindles on a 37 axle, how different could it be? Is it mostly steering to worry about when changing the spindles? Thanks

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the spindles don't fit in several dimensions, that's why it is easier to bolt on the backing plates. If someone machined them to fit, they had the $$ to do it.

5. Kustm52

Kustm52

F-1 spindles and and the F-1 Bendix brakes will fit on your axle with no modifications.. other than the steering arms will need to be changed.

Brian