Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Racing, your best waxing....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Whats the best waxing you ever delivered to some unsuspecting street racer?
    Be honest with us though. On the other hand, did you get waxed, and never saw it coming?
    My best beating was by a guy many years ago in a rough, mud spattered '59 Lark post sedan.
    He took me by many lengths. Fortunately for me, no witnesses and I can laugh about it now.

2. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

I have way more stories about getting waxed. Like the time I lined up in my 66 Chevelle against a guy in a 67 at SW44th & Agnew in OKC and ended up loosing, getting my car impounded and in jail. My turd 350 against his 427. Fun times.

3. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

It was me against a 65 Cuda "S". My 61 Vette with dual Quads, four speed, 4:11 Positrac. At Abilene Tx dragstrip in 1965. I had never seen a Cuda "S" run but that little bastard waxed my ass very handily.

4. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Had a friend with a '70 Dodge Charger with a 440 Magnum. We were out being badasses one night and he pulls up next to a mid sixties vette. I knew of the Vette but I don't know all the particulars. I know he had stuff sticking through the hood, a truck eight lug rearend with slicks sticking out several inches from the body in radiused wheel wells. I knew the owner had the front suspension chained and it would carry a wheel on the street. It was loud and nasty. I told my friend , who wasn't really a car guy, the Charger was his Dads, that we could take this guy. He brings the Charger up on stall and when the light turns green the Vette was gone!!! ....We did a complete 360 in the intersection.... My friend simply could not drive a car, his nickname was "ditch digger" because we went there so often. I knew we'd get beat by the Vette but the donut in the intersection was a bonus!

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Me? Street race? Never! Although I do remember embarassing a guy in an SS454 Chev pickup with the Pontiac convert when it had the 472 that's now in the roadster in it. I sandbagged him at two lights before hammering him on the third. He took it well.

Now that I think about it, the LT1 in it now has been fun against unsuspecting Mustangs. I had some fun with a guy tailgating me in a BMW last summer too. He THOUGHT he could pass...

6. I got my clock cleaned the hard way once upon a time. I agreed to race a camaro that had just came out in HRM. I was nervous as hell. Just about the time I hit the pedal,my car wheezed hard and spit flames out of the hood= did'nt turn the pumps back on=dumbass.

I set up a race for the next week (different guy) and A LOT of BS on his part.... It would have been close anyways....
    Turns out,bastard had a strip only car at home,and swapped engines in a week. I and my friends could tell something was up,right when he started it. It was like night and day from the week before.

He and his friends were laughing and talking all kinds of shit.

What he didn't know was....

I just happened to throw a bottle on my car. a 150 shot.

Kicked his ass bigtime! He tried to talk game,but If you F*&k with a bull,you'll get the horns!

Thanks for the Ben Franklin SUCKER!

Attached Files:

7. I'm running up a long hill once in my 'kind of nearly stock' 327 Corvette with a turbo hydro in it because I couldn't shift a 4 speed for shit.
    A new GTO runs up along side me, wrong side of the road, and gives me the international sign language for GO?
    Sure, I can bury that 4000 pound lump easily.
    12 maybe 11 second later I'm a looza!
    A few day later I get a look under the hood of the GTO.
    "Hey this block is painted orange, those M/T valve cover are ginormous, those VHT white headers are the size of large by huge and it wont idle below 1500."
    SHE was very pretty too, the driver.
    Cleaned the clock on this cat's ego!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  8. silversink

silversink

Mine was in a 64 ply with a 361. Got wupped up on by a Corvair Corsa. Thats all I want to say, still hanging my head.:(:(

2many projects likes this.
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I got my hat handed to me by what was, judging by the view I had of his rear bumper, fuel cell and wheel tubs, a V8 powered Pinto. Man, that thing was FAST!:eek:

10. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,I started street racin' when i was 16 ,,Marshalltown ,Iowa,,in my Dad '57 Chevy ,,a 210 two door hardtop,,283 pwr pac ,,three speed overdrive w' a 4;11 posi rear ,,that first summer ,,i never got beat ,,,BUT ,,a farmers son in mt class was gonna quit school ,,so his Dad told him he'd buy him any car he wanted if he'd stay in school and graduate ,,well ,,they went to California and came back with a really nice custom '55 Olds two door sedan ,,no biggy i thought ,,untill we raced ,,he got me by two car lenghts ,,every time ,,over n over ,,,under the hood was a Mondello Full Race motor w' three dueces ,,anna B&M Hydro ,,,,
    when my Dad traded the '57 in on a new '59 Chevy four door hardtop Impala ,,with all the options ,,they gave him what he paid for the '57 new ,,$1975 bucks ,,even tho it had 102,000 miles on it ,,when he asked why ,,the sales mgr told him ,,"What ? don't you know ??? it's the second fastest car in town " ,,,
    My Dad will be 85 next month ,,he's NEVER forgave me for racin' his '57 ,,three years ago ,at a family reunion in Des Moines (him n my Mom live in Mass) he asked me WHY ?? only thing i could think of was ,,,,,
    " Because I Could " ,,

verno30 likes this.
  11. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

My favorite was racing a guy with my 70 SS 454. He had the same car with mods and a 4 speed. Mine was stock other than headers. I smoked him form a traffic light then saw him a while later. He showed me all of his new mods....guy had money up the ass....and just gave me a grin. I knew he did it just to beat me. I met up with him some time later at a light and smoked his ass again :D My car was pretty fast you can't beat a good set up. He also granny shifted so that didn't help him. I could have neat my car with his if we traded....I think.

12. DMFB

DMFB

I was 18 cruising my buddies around in my Nova. I thought I was the man, lol. I pulled up to a light with a Fox body. I was too sure of myself....thought it was going to be another mustang beaten to a pulp by my Nova. Wrong. When the light changed, we both launched out of there just screamin. By the time I hit third, I watched his tail lights go over the hill. I found out later at our local car show, he had a passenger named Kenny Bell and a big ass blue bottle, lol. Never the less, I got a hurtin put on me.....in front of the buddies.

verno30 likes this.
  13. Bloodandmotoroil

Bloodandmotoroil
    BANNED

ever loose to a ricer and get passed by your own tire at the same time?

i did.. i still wan't to cry...

14. metalman

metalman

Going home one night in my 37 Chevy coupe, 396, turbo 400. 13 sec car on street tires. My wife is following me in the shop truck, a 76 f-100 with a 460, auto. Granted we had done some tweaking to the truck (to give it a little more towing power) but I was shocked when she outran my coupe. 3 times! Felt kinda stupid thinking the truck I towed my coupe to the races with was the faster of the two!
    Did go out the following weekend and did a little street racing, made a little money, running the truck. Not a bad sleeper.

15. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Been a long time ago, but I pulled a still solid 67 442 two door sedan body out of the junk yard. No engine,trans or interior, but for only $150. Bought a black bucket 67 Buick special interior for $50. Bought a 70 Olds for $100 and pulled the big block and 400 turbo out and stuffed it in the junkyard sedan.

Local badboy in his hopped up small block 4 speed 70 Camaro pulled alongside at a light one night with no one else around, so I figured it was safe. Took off hoping my junkyard dog would hold together. Everytime he banged a gear, he dropped back that much more. He lived in motal fear I would spread the defeat around, but I was cool and enjoying my $300 surprise.............

16. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

Nice

17. Home Brew

Home Brew

I had a 65 GTO when I came back from Viet Nam, 389 and a four speed. It had gears and a Holley carb and a little valve train work. Ran fairly well. A friend bought a new Nova SS 396. He kept telling me how bad he could beat me. I finally got tired of listening to him and asked him out. Beat him twice by two car lengths. He couldn't stand it and took his car to the local speed shop. Got gears, headers, and a three barrel Holley with the gear drive on it. He came back for a rematch. I told him no, that I had already beat him and didn't want to embarrass him again. Made him very up set. He finally got over it.

18. Believe it or not, blowing a 440 GTX into the weeds with a 3.8 litre Jag E-Type in West L.A. back in '75. The car was owned by a friend of mine and I used to tune and maintain it for him.

We pulled up alongside the Mopar at an intersection on Olympic Blvd and the driver was revving the engine, trying to impress his date. With smiles on our faces, we did the same with the British six-banger.

When the light turned green, we crossed the intersection heads up, and as I went through the gears we inched away from the Plymouth until the guy finally gave up.

When we slowed down for the next stop light, the Mopar driver asked what the heck we had under the hood, and I told him, "Just a Jag motor." I'm not sure which of us was more surprised! :eek:

When the light changed we cruised off and the E-Type's owner said, See ya later... Chump!"

I never had the engine apart, but was definitely not stock (I knew it had a set of trick cams, but there must have been a lot more work done to it), and it was the quickest XKEs I'd ever driven. A POS, like most Jag's I had the displeasure to work on, but a very fast one indeed.

19. Knew of a guy where I lived when I was 18 that had done over a really nice late sixty's Camaro with his girlfriend, that car was very quickand she cleaned more than her share of clocks. One night we saw " If you can beat me you can eat me " lettered on the back of the car. Well fate wove its evil hand and as I understand it the drive in had something new on the menu.
    As a foot note this guy had great taste in cars and women so the victor was a happy guy , the boyfriend not so much.

20. racer67x

racer67x

pulled up to a light on a 4 lane near South Park (Pittsburgh) on a date with a local girl somewhere around 1979...I had a '68 SS Chevelle convert,396 4 speed with 4:11's and 2 fours.
    was being mellow that night trying to impress her and up next to me comes a loud '70 Cutlass with a couple guys in it.light starts coming down and he revs it..I'm thinking "here we go" and tell her I'm going to have a little fun and she should hang on.
    we both hit it and I get the drop,about halfway thru first gear she starts screaming and tries to grab my arm off the shifter,in one motion I smacked her back into her seat and got second as the revs went thru the roof.between her yelling and me fighting her I got my ass handed to me and lifted then ducked off on a sidestreet to save face knowing they were all giddy on winning and would never understand what I just went through.
    needless to say I took her home and she ended up marrying a friend who was into bikes..lol.

to this day there is a bumper sticker on my enclosed trailer that says "The more I learn about women,the more I love my Racecar"
    :)

21. 69fury

69fury

Got suckered in real good at 17.

1989. Prowling in a low riding, steel gray '68 Camaro with a fresh 327, sporting cammelbacks, a Weiand intake, and a crisp Holley. It had an m22 four gear, pushing through 4.88 gears. OT, to be sure, but damned fun car.

Cruising the square of Lawrence, KS (ROCK CHALK JAY HAWK GO KU!) on a warm summer night, we spotted an aged coat of thinning gray primer clinging to a 64 Chevy II Nova. It was just pulling out of the funeral home parking lot heading for a pass through downtown.

We respected the breed and all that, but this little square lunchbox Nova was gonna take a beating tonight. How could it not, I mean it has steel wheels with crusty covers on them, and a Mexican blanket on the stock bench, instead of buckets. There were no gauges added to the dash- not even a tach. How lame, haha.

There were only a few blocks until the turn onto the north end of downtown. We knew we couldn't run him here, but we were trying get a light anyway.

Trying to quickly close the 3 lengths between us, the 327 was snarlin' pretty good. He noticed.

Muscular dude in a white tshirt, slicked, black hair, sunglasses, he was maybe late 30's in age. When he heard the commotion, he looked over his right shoulder at us, his arm still outstretched over the bench. Neither of us were smiling.

"It's just business", dude. No real race but i'm definitely gonna give him the business end of first gear.

He slowed down and we both pulled up to the light. Upon reflection, the fact that he came out of a funeral home parking lot, wearing sunglasses at dusk, should have been some kind of red flag; however i was busy gettin ready, and listening to something i didn't wanna here.

From the passenger seat came "odd time to mess with the dash. He's probably turning of his a/c, haha". I turned, "What did you say?" Oh, hell.

Green light. The 327 hops up on that gear just right. I am hooked up.

The Nova was hooked up even better. It was right beside me, passing me. Dude's arm still on that damned Mexican blanket. In that instant, I realized that he'd taken the business end of my1rst gear, all right. Taken it and shoved it right up my butt, infront of half the damned town. 200 shot of nitrous will do that.

When I think of that night, getting schooled by an older dude in a old piece of crap looking car, i cant help but smile. It's the same smile i get 20 years later, as i'm putting my 61 Falcon together.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
    verno30 and 2many projects like this.
  22. Dave B.

Dave B.

Did a LOT of street racing in the late '60s/early '70s. '66 Nova, 327, 4 speed, Holley, intake, headers, etc. Won dozens of races with that car. The worst cleaning I ever got, though, was up in central Ohio. Caught a red light and up pulls a scruffy, dirty, partly-primered Charger. Nice rumble, but not loud. Light goes green and I left hard, pulled him about one length... before he nailed it and passed me like a rocket. He'd taken off ALL the 'HEMI' badges except the one on the trunk...

23. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Kings drive in Riverside Ca. 1957. 'got chose off' for my first street race. My 31, 265 powered A bone sedan, was the 'new kid on the block'. we headed out to Dufferin st. in the orange groves. The guy had the local hot Olds, a 50, 98 sedanette, it was known to pull fast hole shots. my A wasnt real fast but it was light and it got away quick. Well we went off and I pulled him till I hit high gear and then he caught me, and motored on by. I got a lot of credit for gettin him off the line.
    Then once some guys came in from L.A. to cherry pick the locals. They had usually had some serious machines. well I was cruisin along and this big old 37 4door Dodge pulls up and is 'blippin' his pipes alongside me, so just shoved mine in second and off we go, I pulled him for aways, but he finally got on the cam and just blew my doors off. Later I found out he had a big Hemi in it.

24. chop32

chop32

1981...A buddy and I are cruising around in a primered '72 Mercury Capri with a 327/th350 and a 3:55 9" rear. At the time the car was capable of 13.20's capped up on street tires, with a best of 12.67 on 8" slicks.
    All of a sudden this blue '68 Cougar with a white vinyl top comes flying up next to me and wants to race for $20. I figure what the hell, so we head out to our spot. This guy jumps out and starts messing with his timing while Im dropping my buddy off to start us. Im heating the tires when my buddy runs over and tells me the Cougars got a turbo and we are only racing for $10 since hes fronting the cash. I let the Cougar have the go 'cause I dont want any excuses. We launch and hes out a car and a half, we are both spinning the tires, but I make up about 1/2 a length by second gear, I back off a little, then flat foot it. The car hooks hard and I just motor past him. I stick it in drive and Im just walking away from the Cougar. I think I got him by about 7 car lengths. He paid up, and never made any excuses...maybe the car was just slow.
    Not bad for a race where everybody but me thought I was going to get waxed!

25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cruising around the 'better' areas of Sydney one night in my old XD Falcon, 590hp but built to go around corners rather than just in a straight line.
    I pulled up next to a new kinda mean looking Mercedes coupe, he immediately gave it the rev and pointed up the street.
    Yeah, I thought I can take this mega dollar poonce car, didn't sound like much.........

Well the lights changed and in an instant the Merc was 200 ft down the road and accelerating hard! I was about three ft off the line, He had me by about ten lengths by the next lights.
    As I pulled back up beside him he had a huge smile on his face, he waved me over into a petrol station.
    Turns out he has two huge turbos on a Merc V-12 and a little more than 900hp.......

Doc.

26. tomslik

tomslik

waaaaay back when i had a 6.5 mustang with a 302/4speed (ran ok for the day)and got along side of this 65 nova with a 6 cyl and we went.

all i seen was his taillights.....that damn car was FAST!..

27. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It was around '77, I had a '65 Malibu SS with a 396, 4 speed with 4:88's on slicks. Most locals knew the car so it was hard to get a race. Some out of town kid shows up with a bbc '40 Chevy. He walks over and says he'll race me since no one will. It was only a $20 race and the kid had to look uber the seat to find enough to make $20. It's heads up so we head over to Woodley and Saticoy.

I figure a bbc in a '40 Chevy might run good, so I come out hard. I shift to 2nd gear and look in my sideview mirror. The '40 looks like it hasn't moved so I figured maybe I jumped. I back off the gas so I can turn and around. One more glance in my sideview mirror to make sure the coast is clear and I see the jiggle of the '40's headlights. Guess the race is still on. Hmmmm, now where is that finish line? I spot the parking lights of the finish line car, its 1/8 mile ahead. Now the '40's on my door and I've lost momentum. Bang her into 3rd gear and punch it, freight training passed the '40. Shift into neutral and coast, now where's that finish line. Just at the finish line, I'm only a car length ahead of the '40.

I pull over on the next side street to put the fan belt back on. The kid in the '40 pulls in behind me with a grin from ear to ear. He pays me the $20 and says, "I almost caught you!". I tell the kid exactly how the race went amd I thought his car would be faster than what it was. I give the kid $10 back and recommend some slower cars to race, even though he will probably get waxed, but he was so happy..............

Getting waxed by Bottle Bob: I had a '55 Chevy with sbc. 4 speed and 4:56's. Bob overs 8 car lengths so we head over to Wentworth. The hands drop and my car is running good. Look in the rearview mirror and I see the Vette still about 6-7 cars back. Shift to 2nd and the Vette still looks like it hasn't made up any cars. Hit 3rd and the Vette still looks like it hasn't made up any ground. I short shift to 4th and back off the gas looking for the finish. Glance in the mirror, "What! Where's the Vette?". Crane my neck to see the right rear quarter panel in my rearview mirror and see the Vette charging like gangbusters. I shoulda have downshifted but I panic, I plant my foot through the floorboard but I've lost momentum. The Vette passes me a couple of cars before the finish, doing 15-20 mph faster.......Yikes!

28. Flatlander

Flatlander

One night during highs school a buddy and I were in his 50 ford pickup. It would hold its own and most people knew it. We had a College guy trying to catch up with us all night to race. He had a 65 Chevelle wagon that sounded like it would move. Finally we came to a light a the same time and it was game on. Light turns green.... and we both stomp on it. The Ford pickup falls on its face and my buddy is pissed. As the Chevelle rips through the intersection a cop pull out of no where and pulls him over. We were never so thankfull that the old Ford failed us. We just drove past and waved.

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

1968, three of us are out cruising in a friends, dads, 53 Ford P.U. truck, with a canopy. Stop at a light along side a brand new Plymouth Road Runner, 383, 4 speed car. A little motor revving and the guy in the Road Runner starts doing the same. Light goes green and we're off. The truck's pulling the Road Runner real bad, and the guy backs off. Stop at the next light and the guy with the Road Runner is looking real embarassed. The truck had a full on 394 Olds motor with a B and M Hydro Stick. The real stupid part is, the truck had a bad brake wheel cylinder, and several times during the night the master cylinder needed to be refilled. That was actually the first "race" I was ever in, and I was just a passenger.

The other crazy story, and I've posted this before, is the first time I took my younger brother to the drags. A friend and I took our cars out to the grudge drags, and I lost track of my younger brother. Could'nt find him anywhere, until he crawls out of my friends car trunk. He'd got him to get in there for "weight" over the tires. Why, I don't know, he had a 66 Chevelle Malibu with a 283 2 barrel and a Powerglide: like he needed the weight for traction (?). I still tell the story, of the only time my brother's been down a drag strip, was in the trunk of a car. Butch/56sedandelivery.

30. chubbie

chubbie

One nite a friendly grudge match out on th black top, a '68 4 speed road runner. my old '66 f-85 with a 330 cammed ,holly, jr stahl headers, m-22 and 12 bolt 3.73 gears. I backed up and "J'd" the street slicks a couple of times..... 1-2-3 I let it go at 4500 RPM!!!! BANG! i had it in reverse.....................................