Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street legal Sprint Car seen on So-Cal freeway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I believe a windshield has to be 8"...Steve, the fender law is still on the books. It's just in the 60's it was enforced because we were young and the cops were old. Now, it's the other way around, but 1500lbs., technically, is still the law. Smile when you see a cop...you could end up on a roll-off truck.:D

It's all about the 1971 deal..................

Fenders and Mudguards

27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Amended Ch. 215, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, but the law is missing an "or" before the "having an unladen weight...", which makes it imply an "and".

To an English professor (my ex-wife), this reads as 'if it was made and registered before 01/01/1971 -and- is under 1500 lbs., then it does not need fenders'.

Now, if there were an "or" in there, then if made before 01/01/1971, then no fenders would be required, but there is no "or" in there.

3. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

E ticket ride for sure!
    I'll bet it turns left really well:D

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Do alot of smiling and wave to the nice policeman.
    Almost any of our cars can be found to have a "violation" if Johnny Law has it out for you...
    I don't run with a front license plate (although I carry it)...so when I see an officer coming the other direction I always smile with both hands on the wheel...I haven't been pulled over in a hot rod in 41 years...really...
    1969...four equipment violations, all bullshit. There were no violations.
    I had the tickets signed off at his police station 1 hour later. The Sgt. who was helping me, radioed him and said that he wanted the cop to come by the station to explain why he wrote me four cites...the clown radioed back and said he was too busy to go to the station.
    41 years....when you are wronged, well...some stuff you just never forget.

5. jandk

jandk

Sorry to say, but from the pics I saw that vehicle is not totally legal. I know it has a license plate on it....which puzzles me due to the fact that it's a dated passenger vehicle plate (black 6 digit). Too many things on the vehicle that make it illegal. Makes me wonder how he got the plate, if it actually belongs to that VIN.

6. Alex Morales Famed Sprint Car Car owner !!! >>>>.

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

You guys are cracking me up! :rolleyes:

STOP.. and think for minute. This thing IS NO DIFFERENT than a 32 Ford Roadster, and a hell of a lot more stable, safe and drivable than half the shit box Rat rods on the road today across the country (and California).

You don't need a windshield in your car. Think of a motor cycle, or an old jeep with the glass laid down.. or a Rail Buggy. The law simply states that you must wear Eye protection if you have no windshield.

If it is licensed as a "Rail Buggy" then it DOES NOT REQUIRE turn signals, fenders, or a Horn. Only DOT approved driving lights (can be clamped on) and taillights with brake lights.

You letting your Eyes fool your common sense.. It's the same thing, just looks different. Keep in mind Track roadsters. Obviously, there are always Ass hole cops that abuse there power, and could make it hard on ya.. but that goes the same for any type of car be it, Hot Rod, Mini Truck, Chopper, Ect...

Our Street legal sprinters weigh 1450 lbs.

I understand that a street legal Sprint car may be rare in Cali, but here in the Midwest (Sprint car and Indy country) there pretty common. Both old and new.

Glad to see this guy kept it "Real" looking and didn't hang a bunch of non-Sprint car stuff all over it. If your gonna do it, do it right!

Here's a couple of ours and one other.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

that's bitchin ,If I thought I could I'd drive the shit out of it

9. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

that's keith "flash" robinson and that car is totally 100% street legal in california. btw you MUST have a windshield, headlights, brake lights, and turn signals to be legal in california. keith's sprint car has all of the required pieces... even if you can't see them. keith is an engineer/machinist by trade and he is insanely detail oriented. if you ever get a chance to see this car up close spend hours finding new things like how every bolt has his initials machined into it. very cool car.

another tidbit of info... keith's brother, doug "fat man" robinson, is the scta milers club president. keith can be found at most el mirage meets with his gas powered blender that he uses to make excellent margaritas.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If a cop wanted to be chicken shit and get picky;
    No rear license plate light (mounting height may be too high also).
    No windshield wiper?
    Are those "not for highhway use" non DOT tires?
    Does it have a horn?

Though it has black plates, you can bet that chassis wasn't "first manufactured pre '71" Wonder what it's registered as?

One things for sure; I love it!

11. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

the lights mount upside down under the seat and he pulls them out and clips them to the front of the car.

if you look at the rear view pics of the car you can see the tail lights and turn signal housings on the rear down bars. they're the long and skinny black pieces on the sides.

12. 454navyss

454navyss

cool ride for sure, i have always wanted a sprint car, street legal or not

13. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

thats still something you dont seem everyday

14. damnfingers

damnfingers

What about seat belts? Don't see anything in there that looks like he has them (personally I'd be wearing a shoulder harness).

15. davis574ord

davis574ord

Thats crazy musta freaked you huh?

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neither the wheels and tires on that car will show a DOT stamp.

The last time I got pulled over in the DD, the CHP officer checked for the DOT stamp on both my wheels AND my tires.

I guess things are different on my end of the state.

17. Drive Em

Drive Em

The rear tires look like Hoosier Quick Times, which do have a D.O.T. stamp.

18. wiggum

wiggum
    from australia

california what a place i wana live ther and drive cool stuff on the street that would never be legal in aus our laws suck

19. Not even close to being "Street Legal" here in California!
    Does it have a plate? Yes
    Does that make it Legal? NO
    lights, wipers, mufflers,
    In fact I doubt that the frame is a pre 1970, based in the style which means the Black plate isn't really appropriate either.

but the Tamale Wagon is still way bitchin!

20. 1robinson

1robinson
    from pasadena

this sprint car is more ligel then a 1932 ford ih boy it has bubmers and is under 1500 lb

21. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

haha pretty cool. I used to run englewoods on my 55 ford mainline, kinda edgy in the rain.I think the headlight law was, you had to have 'headlites on at night' dont know if its still in effect. I remember that we used to use dental mirrors, hand wipers, 'honk, honk,' rubber bulb horns also. You couldnt hardly lower a 55 Buick at all because the headlites were low stock, VW,s were illegal stock, and they measured your ground clearance with a cigarette pack. But they us gave ticks anyway gggg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  22. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I've seen a couple of street legal sprints cars around Sacramento. It always cracks me up that people think California DMV is so restrictive. Almost anything can be driven on the street in California. Ever see those street legal bumper cars?

23. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Ah, shit. You weren't supposed to know that!

24. Cool to be because I love sprint cars. It would be way cooler on a dirt road sideways instead of the interstate! I remember seeing a sprint car and a N.E. DIRT modified converted to street cars in upstate NY back in the 80's. Both to me are equally as "safe" and "goofy" as a lakes modified or jalopy roadster like mine.

25. ligel? bubmers? :eek:

Not wanting to get in a pissing match about what might be "More Legal" since that is quite irrelevant, my comment was that if you want to look at the letter of the law, that car has MANY illegal things about it.
    (Headlamps must be on the vehicle at all times, DOT approved front and rear turn signals, D.O.T. approved taillights, license plate light, I'm sure there is more if one really wanted to look closely, and don't forget the 1500 lb fender rule only applies to cars manufactured AND registered Before Jan 1, 1971)

Keith, I dig your car and love that you are playing with this on the street but I guaranty you it is not 100% street legal in California, and neither are most of our hot Rods!

26. Josh, you are wrong when it comes to California laws (where this car is registered). Here you must have a windshield and wipers, You must have turn signals, horn, fenders if it was manufactured AND registered after 1971 etc. Headlamps must be on the car at all times. California doesn't have "Rail Buggy" type exemtion, any thing custom built becomes a Special Contruction and must meet all the normal vehicle code sections
    Doesn't make this stuff less cool, just not legal here without meeting all the regualtions.

27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

and that's why I smile at all the nice policemen

28. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

It is illegal to hang something from your rear view mirror. It is illegal to text and drive, it is illegal to talk on a non-hands free cell phone. It is illegal to modify your exhaust. It is illegal to modify your emissions system. It is illegal to tint your side windows. It is illegal to drive without wearing your seat belt. It is illegal to replace your odometer without notifying the DMV. It is illegal to not have a parking brake. It is illegal to not report damage to your vehicle to DMV. It illegal to drive with a cracked windshield. It is illegal to not have mud flaps if the officer deems necessary. It is illegal to change intakes. It is illegal.... *on and on*.......(this list is longer than your arm!).
    Sit on the street corner for an hour in any city and watch traffic, you will find many, many illegal cars driving around. It wouldn't surprise me if most of the cars older than a decade or two are not 100% legal! :D And I agree hot rods are even worse.

29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Not true for all cars. I don't believe Specially Constructed Vehicles need windshields. The Ariel Atom doesn't have a windsheid. Heck it doesn't even have a body! It is fully legal in California.

30. 1robinson

1robinson
    from pasadena

wat you dont know is that this is reg as a 1967 special contrction aand it dos come in at 1490 lb and that cost a lot !you will see the car a round the car showes you may and look all you wont