Register now to get rid of these ads!

street freak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meteorgasser, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

Street freak information wanted any photos? What must a car have to be considered one?
    What are some of the more famous ones?

2. old skool kool baby

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

No pics, but as a kid in the early 70's I used to take the wheels off of my plastic cars and put huge wheels underneath them from bigger cars to make them street freakish...

My thoughts are that a street freak is jacked up in front and back real high, so that is is mostly level with slicks and real skinny fronts, blower or scoop on top and headers...

4. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Hmmm, I thought 'street freak' was applied to cars that had body mod's that made them out of proportion to the original.
    Examples would be several shortened fourdoors turned to two doors without any door stretch of the two remaining doors, maybe even just using the back doors? Can't remember exactly how they looked ...
    I do remember one that had a hinged top you had to lift and crawl into it. No operable doors, just a lid that looked kind of heavy and awkward to have to lift and not get mashed by! This was back before gas-charged shocks were commonly available.

That's as I remember it ...

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

5. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

This was featured in the August 1975 issue of Car Craft...Street Freaks issue....[​IMG]

droppedstepside likes this.
  6. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Nothing freakish about a fastback Mustang, except maybe the funky paint scheme! Take away the paint, and you have a rather mild car.

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

7. screwball

screwball

Try finding some old Street Machine magazines just in case you dont understand Street Machine was the name of the magazine. Or early 70 Rod&Custom had a bunch in there roddin at random section.

8. Larry T

Larry T

How about a street car that is based on a competition car with exaggerated proportions, geared toward visual impact (wow factor) instead of performance?
    The one that comes to mind when someone says "Street Freak"
    Larry T

Attached Files:

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

my 56 BelAir. I like to call it a gasser, but others on here think it's a street freak.

runs low 12's, if that matters.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside and verno30 like this.
  10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Larry T and bobwop got it,

a totally impractical cartoonish style somewhere between zinger and gasser

there was another good example in a recent mag.. rod and kulture? green '55?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Exaggerated cars ,,Race cars that were run on teh street ( least thats what they called em when I was little ) ,,look at those Freaks,,,,tthough now with the wordiness of everything ,,im sure theres some off teh wall critirea

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Street Freak....DONK.

13. Gator

Gator

I think the term 'street freak' is to gasser what 'rat rod' is to hot rod and 'pro street' is to pro stock. Each is an over-the-top, exagerated version of the original, all for the sake of getting attention. Looks first, performance, reliability and build quality second.

14. HATED1

HATED1

that corvette from corvette summer comes to mind.

15. Straight8's&Aces

Straight8's&Aces

What in the world is a Street Freak? It's a wild wooly wierdo wagon! It's a street driven dragstrip dropout, detuned for "Sorta-Legal" on-road Cruising. Take a fugitive funny car with a dynamite engine and jacked up suspension, add mufflers, lights and street tires and let it all hang out!

trevorsworth likes this.
  16. I consider MOST of the tri five cars and other "gassers" that are not real drag cars to be Street Freaks,JMO..........including mine!,and for those who think they are "second rate" builds in most cases you couldnt be MORE wrong,most I know of are made to be dependable drivers with the "look" and still quick just not drag cars........

Attached Files:

17. Here's more that I think fall under "STREET FREAK" status.......

Attached Files:

18. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

Wasn't that on a AMT model car box or something? Like the AWB Fairlane?

19. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

ok over the top stuff is good ? what about this on the rear end ? is it street freak or rat rod equipment?

[​IMG]

20. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

all i can do is just say wtf on the front suspension of this imp

[​IMG]

21. I thought the same thing.and then I saw this one

Attached Files:

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oh ok..i thought you guys were calling me names:D

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

there's a lot a street freaks around these parts, but I try to keep the kids away from them.

24. Larry T

Larry T

I don't know, what do you think?

It's kinda like there is a big box in the corner that's labeled "car people". Inside that box is a bunch more boxes and one of 'em is labeled "hotrodders". Inside that box is a bunch more boxes and one of 'em says "traditional hotrodders". Inside that box is a bunch more and one of them says...................................... You get the picture. Just pick the box you like and build your car to those standards. In other words, build it like you want and don't worry about what other folks think. Unless you're building it for the other folks approvel and not your own.
    Larry T
    BTW, I looked around in my box and I think I'm the only one here! Kinda spooky. LOL

25. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

nothing wrong with those front ends, just a different way of doing it.

i always thought that Street Freaks were a trend of the 70's. a definite trend that had a particualr style just like Pro Street or whatever. the Mustang posted earlier is a car that i associate with the trend becuase it was built during that time and seemed to be a part of that whole thing. i'm a huge fan of Street Freaks, don't like all of them, but i do like most of them.

how do you define it? not really that easy to do, but most were set up really high, had obnoxious paint jobs and interiors and massive amounts of chrome and even gold plating. some hate it, but i really like it.

Dave

26. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Amen. I would walk a mile to look at a Street Freak or 70s styled Street Machine than stand next to a Resto-mod, rat rod or pro touring contraption.

Like hot rods and females, some are nasty but alot are very well built.

27. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Worked at Street Machine & Rod Action in 79-81

28. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

I work in Hollywood... A new adventure around every corner....Do I need to say more?

29. It's kinda OT but the one I always liked was a 68 or 69 Roadrunner street freak that was in Hot Rod or Car Craft back in the early 70's. I had a wild custom paint job with both sides of the car completely different. Can't find a pic though.

30. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I got that one in my collection. IIRC it was a feature on Jeff Scozzarro, he had a paint shop called "Jeff's Place" or something close to that. There were several (nearly new) close-to-stock musclecars in the article with real super-crazy paint jobs - lettering, flames, lace panels, fadeaways, candy, big flake - all on the same car. Guess sometimes more is better but way, way too much is pretty awesome.

Gotta find a couple mags for other people this weekend, so I'll look for that one too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.