Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Strange and unusual customs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seesko, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Rikster

Rikster

I have looked a bit better at the photos now.. and I agree, not the same car.
    I have edited my original post.

2. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Heres three of the same car in successive years. The first iteration, the "Little Beaver" was beautiful and I saw it in person when I was a kid. The successive alterations were sad to see.
    Apparently the car still exists . I'd love to own it and take it back to the original
    If I recall correctly these pics came from ProEnfo here on the Hamb

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'm almost positive this thread started out with good intentions...

4. Dirtroad

Dirtroad
    Member Emeritus

What wuz it before th accident???:confused::confused::eek:

5. williebill

williebill

Think you're mixing 2 cars together in your memory..

Rikster,want to enlighten him?

6. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

another wi plate ????? must be the cheese ...:eek:

looks like a late 90s cavaler .

7. Rikster

Rikster

Sound like this car... its alive and well... The present owner is going to restore it. But perhaps he was thinking of another car... However this one is Strange and Unusual.. so it fits the theme perfectly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However the turning center headlights I recognize from this 1940 Ford...

[​IMG]

Perhaps there where others.. but I don't remember them right now. And yes I also feel he is mixing two cars.

8. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

Rikster, Koolkemp, when I got my 41, it was merely the remnants of the original cab. It had been modified from original, stolen, parted out, then recovered and sat languishing in some bushes for over twenty years. So it's not like it was parked in some barn for 50 years untouched and unseen by the world. I was working on a 41 two door sedan at the time when my old buddy gave me the cab and the story. I thought it was unique enough to take on, but way surpassed my skill set. I used the chassis out of my 41 and the front fenders. Someone had cut a hole in the top and installed a 50 something VW rag top. I took the project to Skratch. We used a 48 caddy roof to fill the hole up, and I found a 41 four door to donate the new firewall. Skratch built the floor and we grabbed a 48 F1 bed and rear fenders. The F1 fenders looked too wide, so we opted for 49 chevy rear fenders, yet to modified. The whole thing looked too long, so the frame and bed were shortened. I got a 52 ford 8BA with a fresh rebuild from a friend. Mated it to a C4 and installed it. I had already canibalized a 79 lincoln versaille for the drivetrain, and put the 9" in the 41. I scrounged a Super Bell 4" dropped tube axle and some disc brakes for the front, and had the bones split. I gave Skratch creative liberty to do some subtle customization, I like what he has done with it so far. I came up with the idea of putting a post in the front window, and I like how it looks. As far as going back to original, it won't happen. I spoke with the son of the original builder of that truck from the Feb 57 issue of Rod and Custom. Someone had placed an add in July 03 issue of Street Rodder Pg. 18 "Has anyone seen this truck" with his contact info. We emailed each other back and forth and spoke on the phone. There are too many similarities to dismiss that the cab may have been the origial, the story, where it was built and found and customizations evidenced from some points he had told me to look for i.e. original color, custom paint color that was still found on some portions of the cab as well as holes for spotlights, which had been brazed up. He still believes his father's car is out there, so good luck to him on his quest. I have a unique custom which I love. So is it the same? Who knows and who cares! I put a bad ass custom on the road, which I believe pays homage to the Original and the Era from which it came. So if you like it, enjoy! if you don't, well. my apologies.
    VonXulu.

9. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks for the long story... A great find and save no matter if it is the original or not. But with your explination it does sound to me like it could be the same car.

Besides that I love it...

10. All I could say is WOW.... kind of a slow, painful WOW that seemed to last for a while. :confused:

And then I saw the plates.... of course it is.... my new home :rolleyes: , figures.

At least the trees and hills are beautiful because I try not to look at this stuff.... :eek:

11. Ah, the good old days - when there were no "issues" with welding a great big metal spike to the front of your car!:D

Reminds me of this....

[​IMG]

12. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

Thanks Rikster, and no hood cuase I got a McCullogh 39M pancake blower for it that I'm gonna want to show off when I finish collecting all the parts to install it.

13. George

George

Does look a bit like a Lincoln, looks more like those whacky drawings that are in Kanters' catalogs.

14. 1rustyhighcab

1rustyhighcab

think this fits in the strange and unusual catagory

[​IMG]

15. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

what is (was) this car? You're right that is really sad to see. How could someone do that and think they are making an improvement?

i think the US used to be the custom capitol of the world, but in my humble opinion we've lost that title to the scandinavian countries. They seem to be practicing quite a bit more stylistic restraint than us these days.

go to Rikster's and look under "custom cars from skandinavia" and you'll see what i mean

16. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

So, does anyone have a scan of some of these plans? Custom fiberglass bodies on '35-'40 Ford frames or custom squaretube chassis with ford x-member... I've seen a few of those elsewhere. I like this chevy as a "sports car" custom. Strange and unusual

Attached Files:

17. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Some of these cars on here are completely messed up. It's hard to believe these cars were someones pride and joy. Different strokes for way different folks.

18. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

the first version, it used to sit on the street down from my house, all faded, full of trophys, Barris badge and all. Didnt know what it was and never talked to guy that owned it. Had Ohio plates, Back in the last 80 or early 90's than one day they moved to Calif. I saw it in Rod and Custom once still faded paint, at a GG's show.

19. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

I got these pictures from rexrogers here on the H.A.M.B. This is a custom car designed and built by race car designer Norman Timbs in the late 40's. Currently under restoration at Custom Auto.

Attached Files:

20. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

The Modern Grecian has a kind of "Buck Rodgers" look to it(the one from the old movie serials)and might be perfect as the personal car of 'Ming The Merciless". What's not to like?

21. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Horrible, bad, ugly, monstrous, gross, I don't know if there's a word for this one, done by a professional designer as a show car for an actual car company.
    Guess what's under there:

Attached Files:

22. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

What I don't understand is how anybody who has the skill to weld and put those panels together in that configuration actually thinks it was a good idea.

23. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Never seen that one before, the front looks kind of like a riviera...

24. a FU-Bird.........

Attached Files:

25. The story I remember on this was that is was custom built for a "B movie". Don't recall the name of the movie - anyone? The car was called the Tornado and it was restored just a few years ago at huge expense and run through one of the auctions. Its built on a '58 Fury chassis and the windshield pillars and dash give that away. Its a matter of taste and I don't mind the jet look of the rear but what were they thinking up front???

Attached Files:

26. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey SEESKO...more strang than custom! i think, and i agree with GOTGAS. man some of those..WHAT? i usualy frown on coments about others cars! but what else can 1 say? o. k. ill be a gentleman about this, there absolutely gorges...NOT! call me POP...or the old FART!

27. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

This looks like something Leepu from "Bangla bangers" built!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

28. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

If I remember correctly there's a Metropolitan under there.

29. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Awright! I just barfed all over my keyboard! Stop this insanity!

30. Stop it!!! your scaring the children. :eek::D
    Funny this thread would rise during Holloween.;)