Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods straight axle/pan clearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axel's40, Feb 21, 2018.

1. axel's40

axel's40

Any ideas out there how much clearance I should have oilpan to tie rods/draglink before I set the engine mounts in chassis. I'm mounting Speedway gasser axle and wonder how much travel they actually have. SBC , 3000lb. Street driven, don't think Ill have to worry about wheelstands,just don;t want to do it twice. I've mocked it in with about 3".Did'nt think they traveled too much.

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

It all depends on how you set up the springs. If you leave in all the leafs, they don't have much travel. If you take out a few leafs to get it to ride well, then there will be some travel. To be safe, you should take out all the leafs except the main leaf. Then clamp the springs up against the bump stops (which you appear to not have made yet?). Then set the motor mounts so there is some clearance between the drag and tie rods, to the pan. After you get the car finished, figure out how many leafs you need to get the springs to sit mostly flat, with just a little bit of arch.

Or, you could just guess, and call it "good enough".

3. axel's40

axel's40

Thanks, best info yet. Good enough is only for beer temp.That is exactly what I will do.
    Thanks again