Register now to get rid of these ads!

straight axle leafspring help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AA/Fuel34fordpu, Aug 4, 2009.

1. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I have a guy thats wanting a straight axle put on his car. He wants to use a speedway set up that doesnt bother me at all. The only thing is that the leafs are way to short and wouldnt look right on the car. I need a pair that are 44" long 1 3/4" wide 5 leaf. I need a spring shop that will make them for me. If any one can help PLEASE let me know....

2. Ruiner

Ruiner

Check with trailer supply places, they have lots of lengths, widths and load capacity springs for MUCH cheaper than a spring shop can make them...there should be one local to you, there's two local (within a 3 hour drive) to me...

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Most trailer shops will have springs no longer that 33 inches or so, and they will be approximately two inches wide. With these, ride quality will suffer if he wants to put alot of miles on the car. I'm not saying it won't work, but getting a longer spring equals good ride, and a compliant suspension. Check out early Ford Econoline, Dodge A-100, or early Chevy van springs. If its a heavier car, you will need to add one or two additional leaves to maintain height. Also, check out Jeep CJ- series front springs. I"ve not dove into these yet with my altered wheelbase cars, but it may be an untapped reserve waiting for pillaging. Might be an offroad store around you that may have something you can look at. You should be looking for a spring that has a eye to eye measurement of approximately 40 inches or so. Your customer will thank you for the comfortable ride, as opposed to having to possibly wear a gut belt.

Dale

4. I've thought about this before too. And with so many 4x4ers upgrading to lift kits, etc. they are throwing the stock sets away! However, this many years after the CJs (also the YJ-rect. headlight may be a source as they were leaf sprung too) stopped production, finding stock springs won't be as easy. Not in used condition anyway. They still re-pop them though.

5. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

My Opinion is STAY AWAY from the Speedway Crap, Saw one fold up the springs & bend the axle on a Hery J in Bakersfield not long ago.

Trailer Springs are to short & will ride like Shit.

Look into some Manufactured springs from another car/truck or have some made by a REAL spring shop.

If yer gunna do it ... Do It Right !

6. Weasel

Weasel

Whatever you do, do not use Detroit Eaton - Mike Eaton , the self styled 'spring guru' has no clue, screwed up my order for a pair of stock but de-arched rear springs - made them too long despite saying they had the original factory specs, and then when I sent them back - at their request - they refused to replace the springs with the correct springs (claiming it was a 'custom' order) and held on to the springs and my money - over $600! Here are a couple of photos of the Detroit Eaton springs mounted - note beautiful over center position of the arch and the axle resting against the bump stop - at rest on, a hoist. I didn't even bother putting the 2" lowering blocks in position. You cannot argue with this..... but Mike Eaton tried, by telling me the spring doesn't care which way it arches!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Try Deaver Spring - been in the spring business since 1875 and they make springs for a lot of 'name' companies and do tons of off road stuff, including Baja 500 racers. They'll custom make and ship them to you.

www.deaverspring.com

7. cafekid

cafekid

x2 deaver spring co would be my first thought, they are top quality springs

8. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

did you see what the henry done to bend that axel and spring? i did - i was there. he stood the car on the rear bumper - no wheelie bars and slammed it down hard. cant blame the axel or spring for failing when bottoming on the frame hard enough to bend frame.

9. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I talked to a guy at a spring shop Thanks MercDueceMan. It looks like Jeep front leafs will work. They are 43" from center eye to center eye. Thanks or all your help fellows......

10. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

We pitted close to him, with my altered wheelbase Dart. I was going to make the same comment. It was one of the bitchinest wheelstands though, huh???!!! I think only an old forged set-up would have had a chance of surviving that fall from the sky!!

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

So blaming Speedway for an axle that bent and spring that broke when someone put the car on the rear bumper and slammed it back down...well, your opinion is worth about squat if you can't give us the full story when trying to sway people away from a product...personally I don't like Speedway axle kits, but that's because I get my stuff from MAS locally...

12. Weasel

Weasel

Doesn't MAS make the straight axle stuff for Speedway?

13. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Ya Know, It Is true he stood that Henry J Way up there & Maybe alot of shit wouldnt hang since it just dropped.

Maybe I shoulda said a lil more of Why it bent up.

I STILL think the SPEEDWAY kit is Cheezy & Weak, As with TRAILER springs under a car.

Personally i would NEVER even consider that axle kit or Trailer springs on anything i would drive.

If $$$ is the issue than maybe some should re-consider building things that are not in there budget.

I never understand people that use Cost as a crutch on some parts of a car... Sometimes ya just need to Pay For parts.

I used BETZ in Santa Fe Springs to build the Spring for my Straight Axle car when i needed one ... My Error on the First one caused me to Pay TWICE.

But i figured since it is what holds the whole car up... Maybe it was a good idea to Pay The Price !!

It was only about $160.00 & it looks like a Real part... Not some Trailer shop Spring.

14. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

There are "trailer springs", and "short springs". I personally like the Speedway kits. They are inexpensive, and fill a niche in the hotrodding industry for a kick ass looking ride that does not break the bank. And, I"ve also put my hands on an MAS set-up down at the magazine. The workmanship is beautiful! But, some companies can take a short spring, and make it work, by putting poly buttons, and tapers that help with ride quality. And--- there is alot of historical precident for the shorts springs as well. Alot of backyard A/FX cars ran 'em. Weight savings was at the top of the list, and these trailer springs fit the ticket. It all boils down to personal preferance, and the look ,and ride, you are trying to achieve!! Glad to hear that the original post'er found his answer with a spring shop close to him!! Good luck on your customers build!!
    Dale

15. Class Reunion

Class Reunion
    from N.E. PA

This is a Speedway axle,springs,and spindels.Been in a long time no problems.Goes 132-135 mph in 1/4.If you use trailer springs make sure the spring eyes are big enough for real bushings.

Attached Files:

16. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

We have done 16 speedway kits on gassers for the last 4 yrs.... only problem was on my chevy two gasser , same thing, slammed it down on a wheelie and bent the outside of axle 4 degrees, straighten and go on. or see shakey puddins axle man "tinnies hot rods in pennsylvania" and get a .250 wall chrome moly straight (no drop only) from him any width or spindle set up for about 600 bucks. good man i had one made by him, had a couple of mas units as well good axle bad springs and the rest of stuff from them came in speedway boxes and was treated like shit from the owner. to each his own...

Attached Files:

17. Thought MAS closed shop recently.

18. I think Jeep full size Wagoneer front springs are the length you're looking for. From the factory they have about 3"-4" of positive arch. Seems like the center pin hole for locating the axle was 1" or 2" behind the spring center.

19. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Just was abl to measure a Jeep Wrangler front spring last night up at the brothers home. Approximately 42 inches overall, and pin centered 2 1/2" wide. I'm going order a set from J.C. Whitney and play with 'em on one of the altereds.
    Dale