Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight 8 split Manifold??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.schmidt, Aug 3, 2012.

1. B.schmidt

B.schmidt
    from Kansas

I want to build a split manifold for my pontiac chieftain straight 8, but was wondering what to do with the intake manifold heat box that shares the stock exhaust manifold? Maybe just as simple as a block off plate? Has anyone built one for this engine or had experience with others?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

For driveability's sake, keep the heat box and just add an extra outlet for the second exhaust pipe.

Ray

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

Hre is an 8.0 compression head, HEI and electric fuel pump with a electric water pump and fan. Not high RPM's but big torque (2:88-1 ratio) and a reworked dual range hydro. In a Chieftan body and get constant 12:00's with 104 Racing Gas. Fun to race an see the faces of those who don't don't know what is.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

4. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

I hears from a local guy to split it 5 & 3 for a different exhaust note! Guy is in his 80's and very old school...still has his 48 Buick.

5. Hi Norm, do you have another shot from the other side? what's your intake, edmunds or self made? nice engine, i left mine stock for it's not easy to find heads and manifolds, thinkin' of create my own..

Carsten

6. B.schmidt

B.schmidt
    from Kansas

Splitting it 5 and 3 sounds like a neat way to do, plus an old hot rodder that age has probably seen and done it all. I would never of guessed that a straight 8 would ever run in the 12's, that's incredible!

7. Normbc9

Normbc9

I did my own manifold split and used a water cooled Edmonds intake I found at a Swap Meet in Corona about ten years ago. Those items are still around. There was a Swap Meet yesterday at the Arco Arena in Sacramento and you should have seen the variety of "Obsolete" items. It was a real Honey Hole!
    Nombc9

8. Biothree

Biothree

Back in the 50's, a fellow I knew had split a straight eight 5 & 3 and it sounded great. Another fellow spit his Stove Bolt six 5 and 1. That was a wierd sound getting that pop from the one cylinder every so often.

9. PackardV8

PackardV8

No reason to lose the heat stove. The late 250" Chevy sixes have a really neat OEM split exhaust manifold. The front three cylinders and the heat stove under the carb come back past center. The rear three ports come forward and the two downpipes go down close together.

jack vines

10. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

I just found his card. Pm me for his # if interested in more info.

11. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Sorry folks just found out yesterday the ol gent passed away recently.....sad but that knowledge tree is now buried

Attached Files: