Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stowing hood up out of the way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by themodernartist, May 21, 2009.

1. themodernartist

themodernartist

Howdy,
    Does anyone know how I can raise the hood of my project car up close to the ceiling to keep it out of the way while I'm working on the engine compartment? It would be off the car more than on it. I am working alone and the hood needs to come off and on when needed but it's just too heavy for me by myself and my neighbors and friends are of no help. I am thinking in terms of maybe some sort of pulley hoist arrangement similar to bicycle lifts. Any photos of what you guys have done? I need to keep it simple and safe.
    Peace,
    Chaz

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Make up a lift for the hood from some 3/8" nylon rope and few pulleys to suspend it from the ceiling. You can bend up some "hooks" to attach the line to and grip the sides of the hood.
    Similar to the very expensive hardtop lifts used by the Corvette/Viper/Mercedes/BMW elite but cheap.

3. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

My friends dad made a table for his O-gauge model train collection that would raise with a boat crank winch and a series of pulleys. He could raise the thing up into the rafters.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to scale it down a bit for what you want to do.

6 small pullies, 2 2x4s cut to appropriate lengths and a anchor to tie off to... Like for the rope on a flag... And I think youd be set.

4. I am currently using two sets of the bicycle hangers (large "J" hooks) and two ratchet straps to hold my hood up out of the way. I put some old towels between the hood and the straps just to be safe.