Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stout Scarab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Thanks for the neat post on the Stout Scarab - at this point I think Tesla Motors may end up about the way the Stout Scarab did. Interesting concept but flawed execution as well as bad timing = the money supply went away. At least people are still trying to offer new approaches.

2. We got permission to use a photo of the silver one on the cover of an Eastwood catalog around '95. It generated so many calls that in seriously impacted customer orders. Since it was my idea, guess who caught all the grief from management?
    I've got one of the pressed tin toys somewhere in the vault. Should get it out an play with it.

3. autobilly

autobilly

Wow! Thanks for the lesson. On the HAMB you really do learn something new every day.
    Excellent detail pic's ProEnfo.

4. funky and cool

5. noboD

noboD

I think the one ProEnfo posted pics of is the one that was at Hershey about 10 years ago. It had a crowd ALL day and the owner was very friendly about questions.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If a potato bug could be a car it would be a Stout Scarab, while looking at it I wait for it to curl up in a ball! Very cool/artdeco, thanks 4 posting as I would have never known it existed! Lon

7. solid

solid

Great dash.

8. G. Hacker

G. Hacker

I love teardrop cars...

There have been some great articles about them and I posted one of my favorite below about Stout and his cars. Hope you enjoy.

Geoff

Attached Files:

9. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Wow... just wow. That car has some nice lines... I gotta go stare at the silver one again...

10. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

Not sure if I'm brilliant enough to post this correctly, but here goes: test drive on YouTube.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qYRpzdjENWQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qYRpzdjENWQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. jj mack

jj mack

12. Kinda reminds me of something...............
    [​IMG]
    Can't put my finger on it............
    [​IMG]

13. Oh dear! That's an unfortunate similarity. But thanks guys for the pics and vid link. A truly fascinating car.

14. rideswithchuck

rideswithchuck
    from Midwest

15. I've always found the Stout Scarab very cool and have only ever seen one in a museum. At the time, it was very advanced, like the Tatra cars from what is now the Czech Republic that we're its contemporaries.

16. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Did anybody else notice the headliner in that car? It was woven like a basket. Pretty darn cool looking to me.

17. FWIW: The gentleman that owns the silver Stout Scarab posted in ProEnfo's post is Larry Smith, who owns the Autometric Collision shops here in Metro Detroit and is also the Chairman of the Meadowbrook Hall Concours D'Elegance.

[​IMG]

Mr. Smith ALSO owns this....built by Brothers Custom in Troy, Michigan I believe.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010