Register now to get rid of these ads!

Storing Slicks - Mounted or unmounted?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan292, Oct 20, 2006.

1. stan292

stan292

Gang -

I picked up a nice set of (slightly) used M/T slicks at the HAMB drags this year and will be storing them at least through the winter - and likely 'til the '07 drags.

They are unmounted now, but I'm wondering if there's any advantage in mounting them up prior to storage. I already have the wheels I want to use with them, so that's not an extra expense.

Any advice? Also, any other hot tips for storing racing tires?

Thanks -

2. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I personally would mount them and try and keep them at the pressure you are going to run them at. Then hang them on the wall using the wheel... not resting on the tire. It may sound anal, but that is how I was told to do it by a very good bracket racer. I've done this and the tires were fine. Don't take my word for gospel... I'm sure some of the other racers will chime in.

3. FencePost

FencePost

I always put them in a black plastic trash bag, mounted and laid them on their side in a cool place, like the basement. I also treaded them to a wee bit of tire softener...

4. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

both correct answers.
    we used to give 'em a wipe with vht before storing them for the season- and we hung them up,too.

the only reason we bagged 'em was because well, they were freakishly sticky, and collected lint , hair and other verdigris at an alarming rate.

and inevitably some palooka would come in and lay a jacket on one of 'em...:D

5. I know that when they are left on the car, the back end is jacket up off the ground the rear wheels hang freely, about an inch off the ground. that way they don't flat spot.

6. 37 BILL

37 BILL
    from Bristol CT

[ Thats what I do with th Austin....Just keep em from Being on the "tread" so no flat areas come spring....Good for the coilovers also if the car is off the suspension....