Register now to get rid of these ads!

storing a running motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

hey guys,
    some were along the line we all end up wiht a motor sitting over in the corner and wont be needing it for quite some time, weather it was a killer deal at the swap or just an extra motor from a donor car.

what are sujestions for storing a running-prevoise to removale- motor?

tia
    tim

2. gotcha

gotcha
    from Sanger, TX

Pull the plugs and spray some wd-40 in the cylinders, and turn the motor by hand to coat everything, then put the plugs back in...Make sure you plug up any holes that will be exposed(thermostat housing, water pump, etc)...I generally wrap them up with a trash bag, or cover it with something to keep the dirt off...You may even change the oil in it to get rid of the dirty stuff...That's what I would do...

JP

3. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

be sure to mouse-proof the fucker. mice will crawl in ANYWHERE and will fill the clylinders to the brim if they can. they tried to do it to my straight 8 before i shot it full of brake parts cleaner and sealed it with duct tape. gassed em to death! hell, we had a combine that had EACH CYLINDER packed FULL OF CORN from the assholes...

4. Wont it run out of gas eventually?

5. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

my cousin has a little procedure he does every winter he slowly pours a can of marvel oil down the carb with it running soon as heavy smoke comes out the exhaust shuts it down, then he loosens all the rokers up so there is no tension on the springs, i think he pulls the plugs and sprays a bunch of fogging oil in the cylinders...

another guy i know pulled a 340 outa a dart 25 years ago filled it full of oil....all the way to the top, lossened the valves and set it under his bench, .sold it last year runs as good as new!!

6. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Exactly what thirtytwo said with the Marvel Mystery oil and backing off on the rockers. Good advice on taping all holes shut too. Then bag it shut.

7. Tman has a good point. I would defanatly consider shuting it off before storing it. [​IMG]