Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Storing a battery on a concrete floor will drain it.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Aug 15, 2021.

1. about a year ago I had an apprentice make a battery slave cart 8 ,6 volt batteries wired in series ( positive , negative , positive , negative all the way down the line with differ connections down the line so you can connect 12 , 24 , 36 and 48 volt forklifts and test / drive them around when you have no battery or a bad battery , all bolted down to a push cart with fork pockets .

anyways I tell him to wire them up positive , negative down the line ……… well he hooked them up right into a circle !!!!!! BOOM !!!!!!! The smell was incredible and just burned your sinus throat eyes etc .

luckily ha did not get hurt, big white spot on the floor , ( probably a brown spot in his shorts) but nothing more then that and my boss was out about 1300 bucks in batteries and wire !!!!

batteries are neglected, abused , and most often overlooked by most everyone. But caution should always be used around them .

I can take a pic of the new cart on Monday if anyone is interested .

clem, PhilA, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

How about the old cart? Yeah, let's see the new one. Did he notice all the cables glowing red hot right before the KaBoom? Woof. Batteries are nothin' to fool around with that's for sure.

My dad served in the USN on a diesel submarine, he said one of the big fears was not just taking on seawater and sinking, but taking on any seawater, because if it mixes with battery electrolyte it releases chlorine gas, if I remember right. They had huge stacks and rows of batteries to power the boat underwater.

3. SS327

SS327

Oh my GOD! Never put batteries on a concrete floor. It will make the Earth spin backwards. The seas to empty and all the atmosphere to escape. The world will end! There will be panic in the streets and tree huggers will no longer hug the trees they hold so dear. The world will end as we know it!

Seriously it’s ok, won’t hurt a thing.

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Infect yer mind, curve yer spine, and lose the War for the Allies

5. A64E288B-E9F2-4820-8C32-6E07AA9FD9B8.jpeg

Here’s the slave cart

clem and Truck64 like this.
  6. clem

clem

thanks for posting, - and now I can see how easy it would have been for an apprentice to get that wrong…..

Truck64 likes this.