Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stories of lost cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Oct 30, 2008.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I was just reading some other threads and it got me to thinking of other stories. I am looking for true stories of lost cars. I live in Eastern Washington and there is a story about a train derailment over a lake back in the day,of Model T's that went down and were never found or recovered. Was interested to hear other stories.

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came out of the unit boozer one night and couldn't find my car, guess it was lost. Dunno why I was looking for it, it was further away from the boozer than the barracks!

Doc.

And no, I have never driven drunk.

4. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

The ghost town of Friendship TX is now under lake Granger here in Cen Tex. There was a junkyard and an old rail station they couldn't move, so they flooded the valley and they're all underwater there. There's an old photo of the rail station and the 1910-1940's junkyard in a local history book my father has. TONS of old stuff under that lake. It's freshwater... I wonder how it's fairing under there??? There's also two abandonded steam locos under there too...

5. Pscott

Pscott

Here's a good lost car story:http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/51413_mystery20.shtml one of those "car in the lake" tales. BTW, my wife's grandfather and his brother drowned when their car rolled off the ferry at Burnside, Kentucky back in the 20's. Someone in her geneology group sent a picture of the Model T being hauled up from the water. I seem to recall a ferry sinking in the English Channel a few years ago, had thousands of BMW cars on it.

6. In Ardmore Oklahoma a son of a sheriff long ago held up a bank and drove a stolen model A out to a town called Woodford. They then drove it into an old rock quarry that was filled with water. The old timers told that story for years, yet nothing came of it to prove.

It may have been the 70s, not sure, but a drilling rig moved in close and needed water from the filled quarry. With no other water sources, in time they took more water than would fall or drain back in.

Slowly but surely, the top of an old car began to emerge. Then of course the rest until it was obvious the old timers were right! "THERE'S A MODEL A DOWN THERE"! Many on the rig and even my Dad in town were scheming to get that car out of there.

Well, the water supply ran low, and it was time to move the pump to the lower places for more water. The oil rig floorhand was dragging a winchline out to the pump-yet the driller knew he was probably going to put it on the model A. The car was out of view from the driller, and he wanted it clear that they had no time to mess with that old car.

The floorhand didn't listen. When he got down in the quarry, he hooked the line to the front axle, gave a shout, and the line started moving.

For the first time in 40 years, the front wheels started moving to higher ground. Unfortunately, the rest of the car decided to stay in the quarry since it was a rusted, crumbling facsimile of what it used to be. Guess whats left is still down there.

7. Thats so kool of story.

8. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

hmmm.... i wonder how deep they are. i normally wouldn't steal parts from cars that arent mine, but i think id have to make an excepton here.

9. scotts52

scotts52

I love em, Keep em coming!

10. scotts52

scotts52

Any new ones. Anybody?

11. shoveled71

shoveled71

Back in the the mid 70s a good friend was killed on a 39 Harley Knucklehead in Albuequerque N. Mex., it was the third member of a large southwestern motorcycle club killed on the same knuck, after his funeral the members dragged that knuck across Albuequerque to the Rio Grande River and threw it in the river, it got buried in the sand and probably still there. Spike

12. James427

James427
    BANNED

With the droughts in the south in the late 90's lake Altoona just outside of Atlanta was getting lower than it had been in decades. During one particularly dry summer someone noticed an old car's roof sticking out of the lake and went to check it out. They found a purse and a skull on the front seat! It turns out the car, a 1959 Ford wagon, and it's female owner had gone missing in the early 60's and had never been heard from. The woman's children had of course always wondered what happened to her and nobody believed she would have run off at the time. But when they never heard from her or found the car they were just left wondering. Her ID was still in the purse and still legible as were the $$ bills in her wallet. They did a write up on it in the paper there with pictures. It was pretty spooky.

13. pinman 39

pinman 39

Severed beds
    i have a freind in idaho that found a 39 studebaker pickup in a junkyard .
    No bed a couple of years later found a bed on a hilside 100 miles away .same license plate number dated 1950. Reunited 50 plus years. Hmmm

14. GlenC

GlenC

A young woman and her little car vanished without a trace several years ago in Brisbane, Queensland Australia, about 50 miles from here. They looked for her for ages, including checking along the route she would have taken from her home to the destination she never arrived at. No trace of her was found.

Come up to a couple of years ago, and they're dredging a river in the area. The dredge picks up rusted bits of a car, including a registration plate, and it's her car. Divers go down to investigate, and sure enough, she, or what's left of her is still in the drivers seat.

Cheers, Glen.

15. A girl who scuba dives was telling me about a rock Quarry somewhere near joplin mo that has a large number of old cars in it:confused:. Lots of cars have fell through the ice on lakes in the nothern parts of the country:eek:. Oldwolf

16. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

The train full of cars story is true...but they weren`t Model T`s..I am pretty sure that they were Nash`s. They were on a train ferry going across one of the great lakes. there are a couple posts about it on here if you dig deep enough. The History channel did a show on it.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

There was a late 1950's Corvette that kids stole off the lot when it was new and dumped it in a water filled quarrty in Vermont or New Hampshire. Saw it at Star Spangles Sports Car in Bethel Ct. it was a parts doner, but had a great story to go with it.

18. James427

James427
    BANNED

How about the Norseman concept car built by Ghia in Italy for Chrysler and on it's way back to the US for its debut at the 1957 New York Auto show. Only problem is it was being transported on the Andrea Doria, which sank before it could deliver her. Here is what she looked like, and the other picture is where she is today.

Attached Files:

19. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Similar to a few of the other stories but a couple years ago when the rivers and lakes around here got real low a fisherman was near a bridge over the Wapsipinicon River in SE Iowa and spotted what looked like a car antenna sticking out of the water so he called the authorities. Sure enough there was a car at the other end belonging to a local man who had gone missing 7 years earlier after stopping for a few beers after work and yes he was still inside. His co-workers had insisted he wasn't drunk when he left the tavern so they figure he fell asleep, ran off the road into the river and drowned. He was only a few miles from home.

Rumor has it there's a 30's Buick buried in the bottom of a now dried up pond near here. The pond was at the bottom of a hill right next to the road and the story I was told as a kid was that a woman was coming down the hill one Winter in the late 30's and lost control on the ice, the car went through the fence over a little dike along the pond and landed in the water. She got out OK, just some minor injuries but they decided to leave the car until Spring when it was warmer but by then it had settled into the mud and was stuck fast so they decided to leave it. Over the next 30-40 years the pond silted up and filled in but the story is the Buick is still down there.

Somewhere in the middle of Moline IL there are some abandoned mines in the bluffs near the Mississippi. The entrances have been dynamited shut to keep out the curious but in one of the mines there is supposedly an old 1920's dump truck.

20. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I heard a story yrs ago I heard that there was supposed to be a complete Stanley Steamer in the mouth of an old abandoned mine shaft. Someone supposedly found it once but the road is so overgrown that it would take a logging operation to get it out.

21. scotts52

scotts52

FoMoCo Power

Yeah I heard about those Nashs. I saw that story. The train car full of Model T's is another story. Local history.

"Train Wreck Mystery: (1908-1915) Several boxcars full of new Model T Fords are reported as still at bottom of this lake. Divers have so far not been able to locate them due to lack of exact crash site, but it is probably near Johnson's beach. Here is a real mystery awaiting divers desiring a challenge. Many people have verified that it is down there, though others question this. No one has been able to find it."

Love the stories, keep em coming
    <!-- / message -->

22. hemi

hemi

How about a tank?

http://www.englishrussia.com/?p=299

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's cool is a guy saw it in there as a kid, finally got to see it hauled out after 50 years and they eventually got it running...

23. Fingers

Fingers

There was one in Canberra like that too, the person had been missing since the '70s,

24. barney rubble

barney rubble

We had about the same thing happen locally a few years ago. A elderly woman and her car turned up missing nothing to be found. A few years later they are dragging the river looking for someone else and find her car with her in it. The wierd thing is some of her relation tells me he was wondering what he was getting snagged on while fishing at one of his river spots from the bank. It was her car.:eek::eek::eek:

25. Abomination

Abomination

My dad worked for the UPRR for about forever. And yes, they bury the boxcars... once they found one in the 70s full of mail from the early 40s... and it all got delivered!

~Jason

26. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Wasn't there a story about finding an american tank in France Just this last year?
    It was buried because the germans were closing in on their position, and the tank would take to long to fix, so they buried it.

27. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

28. scotts52

scotts52

Just remembered another one. Old timer talked about when he was a kid they had a Willy's Knight in the garage. There was an earthquake down in San Pedro (California for all those not aware) and the whole house with car dropped into a cavern that opened up during one of those earthquakes. Then the ground closed back up around it like it was never there.
    I wonder if it is still in the underground cavern or if it was crushed when the ground came back.

29. RussTee

RussTee

in the harbour in rarotonga there is a shipwreak fill of model t fords that were being delivered to new zealand in 1917 true i have seen it

30. swi66

swi66

The 1907 Zust that participated in the Great Race of 1908 was found parked in a mine and restored for the 100th anniversary of the Great Race.