Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs STOP sayin' '38 fords are ugly. My 5W project sixties kustom.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coke-bottle, Apr 1, 2010.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Coke,

'great way to learn metalshaping, by actually shaping metal!

Any chance of some stand alone photos of your english/italian-wheel and right angle drive beading/swaging machine? I like the upper adjustment wheel and the off set lower anvil mount on your design!

I can't say anything 'bout '38 Fords being ugly given my "thing" for '62 Dodge Darts!

Not that you care, but traditional kustoms never "laied frame" sported White truck grilles or '59 Caddie tail lamps. But on the other hand, the thing 'bout buildin' a "contemporary kustom" is that one can build whatever one can stomach. Afterall, look at some of the builds D'Agostino & Zocchi have commissioned to be built over the years!

" The icecream truck in his neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter "

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lookin great Cokebottle ! Great to see some updated pics, keep the pictures coming !

3. sodaturk

sodaturk
    from san diego

The car looks amazing so far...I really like the tail end. Here is my Dad's '39 with the bumpers that I designed to follw the contour of the car. Keep posting updates!

2010%20Ink-N-Iron%20Festival%20hot%20rods%20and%20customs%20-93.jpg

4. DMFB

DMFB

Damn man, GREAT work. I'm loving it!

5. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Thank @ all for the kind words :)

Sorry for bad quality but my camera is broken and I must use my phone.

One pic before frame / body separation...

[​IMG]

Finally the caddi is back from the flywheel modification.
    The '63 caddi don't have the manual tranny as option and I'm european and I CAN'T have 2 pedals :D. So I'm going to hand made the bellhousing for the european T5 WC. Hays clutch and modified Pontiac flywheel. Original sierra cosworth throwout bearing and lever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cross the fingers for the start up!! Before install the engine in the frame I prefer fire it up in the low bucks engine test stand. In this pic you can see the bellhousing frame.

[​IMG]

Nice taildragger... Mock up of the '37 caddi grille and frame for engine positioning

[​IMG]

Wow.. here I need a little help. Is the electric choke 12v? I want to test it and assuming this carb is just rebuilded and sold as working, I've connected the - to the engine (-) and the + in the + battery but it doesn't work... why??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caddi video come soon! (I hope)

Luca

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. sololobo

sololobo

C.B., man what a super build. I had a 38 tu-door when in high school and loved it, whoever called them ugly better check themselves in a mirror for ugly. I am so impressed with this slick rig. Thanx for sharing with us and best of luck on your completion, you are not afraid!! ~Sololobo~

7. badgeree

badgeree

38's, I love 'em. Great work Coke-Bottle. looking great so far. I like the Caddy tail lights position.

8. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

in for more progress pictures. Some art deco tails would rock on this car.

9. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Sure, but I prefer to put a classic V8 in it. Some people think the '63 390 caddi is a boat anchor. I'm not of the same advice, I think it's a jevel in this car!

It's a '57 392 :)

No problem PM me you email!

Luca

10. Great work! But, I hope you realize that new spring and perch bolts etc for your front suspension are for and earlier car and will move the front wheels back if you put them in the stock front crossmember. Are you changing that?

(p.s.my own 38 Ford custom project has had virtually nothing done on it for nearly 2 years now since we moved state. Very frustrating!)

11. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

I really need some advices in this way. I want to keep this front end and adapt it for this car. I want to hide disk brakes under fenders, my other projects are fenderless.

So, any advice for the front end?

Luca

12. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Anyway, what's wrong on enlarge the wheelbase of 3"?

13. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Bump, Need HELP. Read up please.

14. HRod 50

HRod 50

LOVE IT!
    LOVE IT!
    LOVE IT!
    LOVE IT!

Man, 3 window coupes are beautiful cars.. Yup its official, I"m going to have to get me one...

15. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

well us old farts thought 38,s were ugly but you are customizing it so it will look good! ggg

16. erlomd

erlomd

hey, nice work there!

17. BANDITO

BANDITO

Great work Luca...
    Max respect!!!

18. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

looks great! When you're done send back to America. I'll pm you with my info.

19. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

ha ha :d

20. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Lot of Progress done on the '38.

Engine mock up with manual tranny
    '37 Caddi grille and support
    '47 Chevy Headlights in position
    All the shine metal you can see in the pictures!

Enjoy :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  21. fat141

fat141

Clever little bastard aren't you ? Looks bloody terrific, you must be very pleased.
    Be good to see X38 pull the finger out, last time we saw pics of his, it was goin' places
    Rod

22. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Ahhh I love before and after.. The dream of each HR & Custom builders..

BEFORE

[​IMG]

AFTER

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  23. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

63 390 a boat anchor? BWWAAHHAHAHAHAA!!! If I had to pick a Caddy motor, THAT'S IT! Had one in a 62 Ford Unibody PU and it flat out ROCKED! We first put it in there for my uncle then we got it from him. On sticky pavement we could just snatch the left front wheel off the ground. Just a lil bounce mind you and there was a trick to it, but power? Minchia...

The car is lookin really exciting. Your title got me as I'd not seen this before. 38s Standards ARE UGLY. Like the ugly twin of a 37. 38 Deluxe? I didn't hate em but wasn't all cranked up about em either. Lately though, there's something about a 38 deluxe that moves me. What you're doing is un bello fatto a mano! I hope I got that close enough. Been a long time since I've been around my Italian relatives.

25. Coke-bottle

Coke-bottle

Ahh good news to hear. I hope to test it soon.. :)

26. bigbore

bigbore

27. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Amazing Project ! You are one talented dude !

28. Ebert

Ebert

Looking really cool! You are very talented!!!! Can't wait to see more!

29. Luca, I sure wish I could have hooked up with you this past summer during my trip to Italy - it was a great trip which could only have been made better by meeting you and seeing this car in the "steel" - the car is really looking killer.

Hopefully on my next visit I can hook up with you (and it might be sooner than you think!).

A buddy of mine has set Chevy h-lites into 36 Ford fenders for a pretty nice look - take a look at this link for a small pic that gives you a good idea of the look ... the guy's name is HamtownAl as he's known on the HAMB and Fordbarn:

http://www.36fords.com/images/Front110208.jpg

Keep up the great work ...