Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. fanspete

fanspete

2. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

He had several '57s; the last one I remember was an all-white *265/2bl 4sp, 4-Door 'Q'(?)Stock, Junior Stocker ... cira 1973/74.

*Yes, the 162 HP/265 Cu In engine was an option in 1957!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  3. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

4. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

"The guy I am thinking of had the misfortune of a freak occurrence. He dropped/broke a valve on the first run of a new engine. I believe that Alex Jarrell had built it for him. That was bad for everybody concerned."

WoW! ... Alex 'musta' been embarrassed:eek:! But alas, that wasn't uncommon, as so many 'on the edge' valve-train (and piston/rod/crank) 'lightening' tricks (all under the 'guise' of 'balancing' -- Yea Right!) were used back then. And engine-builders really 'pushed the envelope' in that department.

Don't think that was the 'Smitty' I knew though. He had very-nice cars, but like me, he was too 'Buck$ Down' :( to spring for one of Alex's engines!

5. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here is a photo of the car I remember running against my friend Charlie Hampp in the Witchcraft car.

[​IMG]

6. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

'Mystery' SS Racer ... E-Town photo 'around '72 ... 'Thought' it was Dave Boertman, but I see now that it's a NED (Div 1) car!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  7. S1B

S1B

I love these old photos! Great pic.

8. That is the Boertman Rod Shop car. It went to Neal Lehman in Pa, who later drove one of the Ed Hamburger 340 cars.

9. copo69

copo69
    from WV

10. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Looking for details on this car and additional photos. Anyone know who owned this one?

11. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

12. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Awesome pic, but I don't think a 70 Cuda fits between 59-66.

13. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Great Shot TM. SS/DI's semi successful project 'cuda

14. Old Gearhead

Old Gearhead

This is all great stuff. I went to races in Memphis at the old Lakeland Dragway beginning in 1963. I saw lots of icons of the sport race there. One of my favorites was Herb McCandless with his stick shift Hemi Super Stock and FX "Mr. 4-Speed" Mopars. Anyone got some pics of Herb from back in the day?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  15. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Recognize any?:rolleyes:

16. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Detroit. Appears to be '62, late '61?

17. 66ford-r-codecustom

66ford-r-codecustom

hello, and totally new to this thread just found this site & i am looking for any info or old pictures of this old ford racecar we have been restoring for YEARS, we have talked to the original owners & cant find any pictures other than this one & we would really like to have more if at all possible.
    thanks in advance
    ps. this car was raced in Oneonta alabama in 1966 by Bobby & Cecil Edge in A/stock
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

18. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

[​IMG]

Might be helpful if you posted some recent images. And you might consider posting your inquiry here --> http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201085&page=40
    ... as your car meets the criteria of that thread also. Good luck!

19. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great car! Hope you give it the original stance, wheels, etc. in the restoration.
    My friend Sol Stewart from Alabama would probably know the car and might have pictures. Sol ran a few tracks in the AL-FL panhandle region and now puts on The Old Drag Racers Reunion down that way. Contact me at [email protected]
    Joel

20. 67goingthing

67goingthing

Here is a photo of my 66 Fairlane. It was upgraded to 67 trim like all of the other Fairlanes in 67.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  21. Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

22. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Back in 1995 I went to Spring Carlisle and saw this sitting on a trailer. It was early in the morning and there was no one around at the time. When I went back a couple hours later, there was a guy sitting on the tongue of the trailer. I asked about the car and he told me that it was an original factory light weight car and he found it in a junk yard in Detroit. We had a nice chat about SS and A/FX cars and he told me about his collection. Very impressive! The guy was Mike Guffey. He sure has some nice stuff.

[​IMG]

23. leip24

leip24

Nick is my Father-in-Law and his son and I were looking for a unique Christmas Present for him. We noticed that you had some photos from that time period. Do you have any others that include Nick or any of his cars from his racing days?
    Lei Smith ([email protected])

24. brandon

brandon

was this car rebuilt , rebodied , or did they just move on to something else...?

25. Phil Bonner's Thunderbolt does exist today, restored, though I am not 100% certain if it is the original car pictured in the wreck photos. I heard the car sat behind a garage until recent years when it was restored, but who knows just how much is original? Perhaps someone else here knows more about it...
    -Dean

26. There is an interesting story about the Bonner T-bolt. This was one of the first 11 vintage burgandy cars. Phil went out of town to race his blue '64 Falcon and left the T-bolt in the service bay of Al Means Ford. One of the line mechanics at the dealership decided to take it to the local track for a little racing, without Mr.Bonner's permission or knowledge. Well the mechanic was warming up the car by driving it down the track before the racing started and lost control. He ran off the edge of the track and rolled the car causing the results in the photo. Well he hauled the car back to Al Means and put it back in the same location that Phil had left it only this time it was crashed! I guess he figured Phil wouldn't notice!!!:eek: Well the mechanic went home and moved out of his apartment, quit his job and has never been heard of since. Phil has never heard from him in over 44 years. Phil would still like to speak with the guy if he could ever find him. The guy vanished off of the face of the earth. At the time it was just a race car so it was stripped of what was any good and dragged into the woods. Phil then built a hardtop T-bolt from a body he was provided with from Holman Moody. He drove this car very little as his blue Falcon was the main car at that time. Phil also had another white T-bolt in his fleet at the time.

The maroon T-bolt sat in the woods intil the 1980s when a full on restoration took place. The car was rebuilt and Phil owns it to this day. He takes it to shows that are near by his GA. home. I've actually had the pleasure to drive the car on a few occasions. If you go to PhilBonner.com you can see current photos of the car.

Sorry to be a bit long winded but I thought it was an interesting story!!!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  27. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

No ... not "long winded" at all -- Great story! Reminds me of this post ( #790 ) by Colsey.
    [​IMG]

28. guffey

guffey

If you check 65 Deuxes post #1559 of this thread the photo is at the AHRA meet at US30 in June of 64. I am pretty sure this car is one of the cars in the photo. It Had Ramses II on the side eventually and then turned into. Bob Kokenes Koke Machine

29. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

That up in Croton ?

30. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Neat shots of Capitol. Is the Beasley FX racing an S&S Willys in the top photo?

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com