Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods stock powerglide question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Jan 10, 2018.

1. I saw where someone was selling the big O-ring for the two halfs. You know you'll need that.
    Maybe that's all it needs. If you want to take it apart yourself , I'll help you raise the stall up some.
    You'll only need some simple tools. Might get 5-600 more out of it anyway.
    If there's a big problem in there, you can always box it up and send it off somewhere.
    Let me know.
    Might be a first for the HAMB :D

elgringo71 likes this.
  2. drumyn29

drumyn29

HELL YEAH, LETS DO IT!!!!

3. Okay. Loosen all the bolts up just a little and separate the two halfs..slightly. Prop it up on it's side for about a day and let it drain. Then set it on the bench , hub down ( the part that goes into the trans).
    Unbolt the cover. Lift off the cover only, and set it aside. STOP here .Take a picture..Report back here. I'll see the post.

elgringo71 likes this.
  4. drumyn29

drumyn29

How about I find a local Arizona convertor and have it dropped on your doorstep!

5. Nah. I might be moving in a few months. I've got enough here to finish up now.
    Usually on the computer after dinner anyway. I'd rather do it here, for the archives, if you know what I mean.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Virtually ALL large cities, like L.A., have converter rebuilding shops. They may not be a big name racing company, but there are several big name racing converter companies in California; just check your phone book. Take YOUR torque converter in, and have it worked over. Even though it's the old style, bolt together converter, they should be able to do something with it, and if they can't, then they can make a converter tailored to YOUR cars/trucks setup. IF I was working with a cast iron Powerglide, that's what I would probably do. However, there may not be enough support to the "spokes" on your stock flexplate to safely drill holes in order to bolt a more modern converter to it. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, there is no shortage of shops in LA: https://www.google.com/search?q=tor...e..69i57j0.10679j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

8. drumyn29

drumyn29

I'm surprised there are so many shops.

9. Guys, These are mostly rebuild shops. He wants to raise the stall speed up a bit. It is a bolt together converter.
    What do you suppose they are going to do to it?
    Marvin sold A-1 and it moved to Washington. Continental closed down . Those are the only two that I know of that have enough sense to fool with something like this.
    Yes, someone could take a 10" with a 10.5 bp and add to the tabs and move the holes out to 12", but like I said in the beginning, it ain't gonna be cheap.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  10. drumyn29

drumyn29

Continental was the best!!!

11. Yup, good people. They helped me out of a jam more than once.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put a 700R4 in it, and be done with it.

13. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

I have a cast Powerglide that I'll GIVE you - just buy me lunch or some beer! I'm in El Cajon, just off of I-8.

14. drumyn29

drumyn29

Cool, thank you!
    I'll find someone to pick it up and bring it here to L.A.

6-bangertim likes this.
  15. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Send me a PM when you might want it, and we'll swap phone numbers. It's still attached to the motor. -Tim

16. drumyn29

drumyn29

It'll be interesting to see if we can actually get a little more power out of one of these convertors.

Watch out, we may start a cast powerglide trend for the stovebolt guys!

17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I thought he already had an iron glide? Let Mark walk you through the convertor deal. I want to follow along on this. Lippy

saltflats likes this.
  18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yeah what Lippy said.
    Sure it setting the pitch on some fins.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. XXL__

XXL__

1960 C10 SWB with PG (RPO 311) was came with 3.90 gears, or optional 3.38 (RPO 215).

4120# curb weight

Source: GM Heritage Center publication on 1960 truck series

20. drumyn29

drumyn29

I'm about to aska question that has probably been asked to death.

I daily drive the crap out of my cast powerglide and sometimes in the morning when I start her up, the trans fluid dumps on the ground from the bottom of the trans but doesn't do it while I drive. I think it does it also when I park it but I'm not sure of that.