Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stock Chevy column shifter linkage with TH350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by European Custom, Sep 30, 2019.

1. European Custom

European Custom

Hi, i´m looking for some advice and pictures to connect my 48`stock chevy fleetmaster column shifter to a TH350. My current setup is a bended and badly welded linkage to the gearbox, i would like to change this to a better quality level. My idea was to install a Lokar column cable shift linkage, but i´m not sure how i can adapt the current shifter to fit it with the lokar. I attached a pic with the current shifter.

Best regards
    European Custom

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

The shifter for the original 3 speed transmission does not have the "gates" that an automatic shifter needs.

You might look into adapting a 1953 or 54 Powerglide shifter, but you will need to make some modifications to make it work. I did that for a 1957 Chevy truck, and it worked ok. It has the gates, as well as a neutral safety switch.

3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

When I did this on my '60 F100 I built detents in on the column (shift tube on top of column) against the column mount/drop IIRC - It acted as my gear indicator too - sorry, no pics - I had considered a cable too - but I had all the stuff around to do it this was - sometimes the simplest way is the best way

4. European Custom

European Custom

Has the TH350 not it's own detents for the different gears? Thinking now about a stiff linkage via a rod, w/o change anything on the column...

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It has detents in the transmission, but they are easily overcome. Mine was hooked up like yours with the stock column, it was very easy to bump it out of gear, or do like I did accidently one day, hit reverse going down the road! Either do as suggested and make up a detent for your column, or change to a column that has it already.