Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical stock "a" banjo with a flathead v8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by onekoolkat1950, Nov 2, 2013.

1. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

anyone running or ever run a strock model a rear end with a flathead v8?i have a really nice roadster banjo sitting around and was thinking of using it in my next project with a mild flathead and juice brakes.any disadvantages to this rear?-ray

2. 31ster

31ster

I did, it worked fine

3. Seeing the the model a rear was only built to handle about 35 horses... I wouldn't do it!! Besides.. Depending on bolt pattern you want to go with.. Any 39-48 rear end will hold up fine!! It's what they were made for!! There a dime a dozen!! If you your lucky enough... You may even come across one of the truck open drive rear ends!! I found two with transmissions!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I did it way back when, first go round with the 31 and a stock 50 Olds 303/ 36 tranny. Never did break the rear, the cheap used tires I could afford broke loose before anything broke in the rear.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2

Frank

6. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I am using one in my 29 AV8 tudor. I put a 3.54:1 gear set in and have racked up several thousand miles. Make sure you set it up right with new bearings, etc you should be fine. Its been done many times before.

7. you might check with T&A Flathead on the forum he's running one in his 29 2dr . Drove down from KC to the HAMB drags this summer.

8. A little slow on the key board this morning!!!!!!

9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

I put a later rear in my roadster.i have an extra 46 rear but the model a rear is rebuilt and looks like new hate to let it go to waste.

10. 31ster

31ster

I had a pretty strong flathead that I ran the piss out of. As long as you don't dump the clutch on it it will be fine.. He tires will break loose before u tear it up. I sold he car to one if he oilers( it's the black 666 roadster) and its still going strong. Plus i didn't have to shorten the TT and barely had to trim the firewall bottom for clearance.

11. Back in '59 I drove an A coupe to school. It had a stock V-8 flattie with a 3 speed column and stock rear end. It was still running well when I sold it for the kingly sum of 90 bucks.

12. fatkoop

fatkoop

"A" rear ends are sure not the worlds strongest, but if you read any of the '50s or '60s mags, they were pretty popular. Many were used in Bonneville racers and at the drags, and plenty of street cars. No early banjo is very tough compared to a modern rear but they can last if you treat them right. Just keep a good supply of spare parts handy!

13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

In the '60's I ran a Model A rear in a '28 pickup. 276" flathead, '39 trans all fit just fine. I made my own rear crossmember.

The rear held up just fine until I put on cheater slicks and got stupid. First it was broken axle keys, then axles then total destruction.

Be sensible and it should last quire a while.

14. xix32

xix32

the "A" rear axles and ring and pinion are the same as the `32 "B" ( or early `32, according to some) my dad told me Indy cars would run them in the forties, but they did something with the axles ( that was the weak link) I think I recall he told me they ran a single piece of tubing straight thru, with out any spider gears then did something to eliminate the tappered end at the hub. the dirt track roadsters of the late forties used this method also.

15. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Running a French Flattie (mostly stock) with the original A-Banjo. The banjo was already worn out when we did the engine swap. But it is still working fine.

16. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

vintage tech!awesome.

17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Ran a stock rearend in my avatar with a flathead with no problems. Building a 30 Sport Coupe with a stock rearend and 3:54 gears. the axles are the same size as V8 axles, uses same bearings and drums fit. The ring and pinion gears are lighter but you will tear up the axles first. Will stand up to daily driving.

18. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

hi Ray, I'm using one in my roadster since 07 and put about 30 thousand on it. I did break the spider gear one time doing a hole shot. I'd do it again. Jared