Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stock 32 Ford Headlight to dropped headlight bar interference?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Dan, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

I have a 32 Ford with a Vintique dropped headlight bar and when I put repo original style (big) 32 headlights on it, the bend in the bar won't allow the lights to sit straight. They are tilted inward because if I tilt them straight, the back shell hits the bend in the bar.

<O:p</O:p
    I don't like the look of the flutes in the glass being at an angle. I’ve noticed some of the aftermarket dropped bars have a more gentle bends and appear to provide more clearance. Anyone else have problems with the dropped bar not allowing the stock style 32 headlight to sit straight without tilting them inward? If not what brand aftermarket bar are you using?

Thanks, Dan<O:p</O:p

2. I don't use the aftermarket type anymore,I had the same problem,The original headlight bars that have been dropped work best and that's what I use now. HRP

3. I have used a few of them in the past with no problem. I just put their Model A one on my 29 as well - no problem with the Original Commercial (Large) headlights.
    Don't be offended but are you sure it's not on backward? They will bolt up both ways and change the way the headlights fit.....

4. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Not offended at all, I appreciate the time folks take to respond.

I thought the same thing, but the center has a slight bow outward the way it's mounted now. If I switched it the center would bow inward and probably hit the grille. Also I think the flanges wouldn't bolt to the fenders right if I switched it.

Right now I'm fitting before paint. I think when I remove the fenders I'll try putting on just the fender braces, headlight bar and headlights to see how it all fits. I don't want to spend the money twice, but I may need to buy a stocker and get it dropped.

5. If it's bowed (as I now remember that 32's are), than I think your right, it can only go one way. I was thinking Model A as that's the one I did last week and they will go on backwards.

6. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I have Drakes on the car now with stock headlights. The headlights fit fine, but the curve in the bar just off the fender mount pads is so tight a bend its really hard to get the bottom bolt in. I had to shorten the bolt as much as possible, and then it was still a bitch. Theres a thread about headlight bars I started, and a few more. Not to the point, but you can also grind the little nubs off the bottom of the pads and the bar may sit better on the fender/braces.

7. dondouglas

dondouglas

this is my 28ABONE 28 Ford

Model A Roadster

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I also have a drake and it is a bitch to get the lower bolt in but it will go.