Register now to get rid of these ads!

steeringwheel restro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Michael Pukash, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

Merry Christmas to all ! Scored a 48 Ford steering wheel and horn button. It has a lot of small cracks and the chrome on the horn ring is shot. Any rechromers that you guys would recomend? Also I can't find any info on filling the cracks in the wheel and a good paint to use. Any thoughts?

2. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

Try PC-7 (ACE Hardware $7-8.00) 2 part epoxy. Use only what you need cause it sets up real hard. Clean cracks well, V out if deep, and fill-grind-sand-paint. I just used regular rattle can paint on mine and it is still good after 3-4 years or so.

31acoupe

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

PC-7 available at any Home Depot/Lowes etc...cheap unless you like to pay a lot more for some kit. I use a hack saw to widen and undercut the cracks. Mix up the 2 part epoxy paste and force it into the cracks. File to shape. Sand and primer the same way you would a fender. It sands and feathers nicely with the Ford wheels. I've always used single stage automotive paint with the hardener.

[​IMG]

This one is about 10 years old now.

4. OLLIN

OLLIN

post a pic of the horn button, i might have one...

5. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

I'm sorry the horn button is ok, it's the horn ring that's needs rechromed

6. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon