Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering Wheel Resto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seatex, Apr 12, 2014.

1. seatex

seatex

Any recommendation on restoring/custom fabrication of steering wheels? I researched under Tech archive, but couldn't find anything.
    I found a sweet LoneStar steering wheel from an old boat at the Roundup (thanks, HillRat!) and need to get that bad boy fixed up for my '29. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, JB

2. I use JB weld to fill the cracks...sand out nicely.

Attached Files:

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

PC7 epoxy works well for filling cracks.

4. This winter I put a 38 Studebaker banjo wheel in my '29 A cabriolet. It took a while to find a piece of an upper shaft to fit the wheel, but much less costly than having a new shaft machined. I had to make a new column to match the bottom of the hub. I also rolled a new rim from 3/8" wire and welded it on the spokes. It is temporarily wrapped, so I can drive the car during a shakedown period. The rim will be recast in plastic later this year. I feel it is worth a lot of effort to get/make a steering wheel and dash into something you really like, as the wheel and dash are something you are constantly looking at when driving.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

5. Rob68

Rob68

I used JB Weld. It turned out pretty good.

6. BarryA

BarryA

I used Evercoat Maxim Plastic Repair 'semi-rigid' epoxy when I used an old Jaguar rim to build this one for my old '41 truck. Sands and feathers great.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
  7. elba

elba

I used JB Weld also. Take a " V " file to your cracks to make room for the JB to hold.

8. elba

elba

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I painted it with PlastiKote paint out of a spray can after priming and sanding. I really like the PlastiKote shine and it seems to be holding up well.

Attached Files: