Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering wheel repair

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 46international, Nov 6, 2013.

1. I know this has been covered before and yes I did search. All threads I found were about filling cracks, my wheel early 40's? chevy wheel has no cracks but does have some grooves worn in it from a spinner knob that was installed at one time.

Question is, will the PC7 or epoxy work on shallow / worn areas not deep cracks? the areas are only about 1/16" deep and about 3/16" wide more or less and they are not cut sharply with hard edges, just tapered.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

take a hacksaw and make the grooves deeper. It will hold for sure then.

3. Guess I could do that but I would sure hate to cut them out deeper.

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I have fixed some like that by drilling small holes in the groove, gives the epoxy something to hold on too.

5. Guess that's a good idea.

6. Basically fixing crack or groves it's the same principle.,,the PC-7 will do the job. HRP

7. fonebone

fonebone
    from Canada

Perhaps a sanding with 80 grit or such might give that epoxy something to hold on to, and not be too intrusive to the wheel if it fails.

8. big M

big M

I use a file, and V the cracks all the way around. This will also remove old grime, and oils from the surfaces you are wanting the product to bond to.

Best to also leave your fill just a bit high, to allow for the inevitable shrinkage, and let set for at least several days before doing any more sanding or filing to the surface. If the wheel is hard plastic, best to have it recast, as repairs will not last more than a few years before cracking again.

---John

9. HRP, my main concern was how it would feather sand and if it would stay put, being that the filler would be so thin.
    BigM no cracks just some worn areas.
    I think I will just sand with some 80 grit like fonebone said,
    thanks guys

10. PC-7 has held up great on my steering wheels,,I fixed gouges,cracks,missing pieces and yes even grooves,,it's held up well for almost 2 years now. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I used PC-7 to repair the steering wheel on my F-100. Mostly I filled cracks, but there were also some minor dings and scratches; it worked well, and was easy enough to feather out for a smooth surface.