Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering Wheel Locks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Sep 19, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Anyone use steering wheel locks, the Club etc.? Never used one myself, seemed to be all the rage at one time. Some lock to the brake pedal. Yeah, not going to stop a pro, but maybe the opportunity thief at stores, restaurants..

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'd think a hidden GPS transmitter would be the best as to getting your car back .....quickly !

blowby likes this.
  3. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Back about thirty years ago or so my wife's aunt and uncle were travelling across the country to a family reunion in California. They arrived at a hotel in New Mexico, put the club on their car and went to their room. They came out an hour later and their car was gone club and all. They were less upset about the car being gone than the irreplaceable family photos they lost in a car they never saw again.

blowby likes this.
  4. oldsman41

oldsman41

No matter what you do if the a holes want your car they will get it.. my avatar isn’t worth 50 grand so I don’t see it getting stolen. Whatever you can do for peace of mind, but good insurance may be the answer

VANDENPLAS and blowby like this.

5. jaracer

jaracer

One of the ways to defeat a "Club" was to cut the steering wheel. The Club may be hardened and hard to cut, but the steering wheel isn't. The best you can do with a determined thief is to slow him down.

blowby likes this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. Hadn't though about cutting the steering wheel...

Definitely only a first line of defense...

7. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i usually use mine. It can be easily defeated----as pointed out above, by cutting the wheel. But, the object is to slow 'em down, or make it so unattractive that they move on to another car.......

Another thing i'm looking into is a steering column lock---that is, something along the shaft, maybe something that goes into the steering u joint(s) that makes it impossible to steer.

Boneyard51 and blowby like this.
  8. A quick release steering wheel could be your friend.

Boneyard51 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use a hidden battery cut off switch...it can't be hot wired that way, and hopefully I'd hear/see the rollback/tow truck, if someone was trying to steal it.:mad:

Boneyard51 and blowby like this.
  10. cfmvw

cfmvw

In the VW scene there is the Berg locking shifter. Put it in reverse and turn the key to lock it there.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I think any deterrent is better than none. Keeps the low life’s in check.
    Can’t really do anything about the “pros” though.
    I wonder how those “repo-man” reality shows inspired the roaches?

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The guy that had my '56 Vette before me had a solenoid in the brake line. Sort of a line lock in reverse. When you put the brakes on and turned the key off the solenoid kept the brakes locked. Took me awhile to figure out what the heck; every time I turned it off and tried to push it, it wouldn't budge!

I took it off. Two things wrong, one, overnight the pressure would bleed off and you could roll the car and two, I didn't want to loose electrical power driving down the road, hit the brakes and have them locked.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  13. oldolds

oldolds

You do know there are apps for your phone that tell you there is a transmitter? They just steal the car, stop at McD's and throw it out and go on their way.

14. I put my battery in the trunk and used a latching solenoid and hidden switch to shut down the battery. If they get under the hood, there will be no battery power available and no power at the starter for them to hotwire off of. Doesn't prevent towing it off.

I have used The Club in the past and will use it in the future. A new neighbor spotted it and chuckled (car was parked outside on the driveway) and I explained it this way ... although The Club is easy to defeat, it will hopefully make me look paranoid to the thief who may also wonder what other contraptions I have equipped the car with. The intent being to get Mr Asswipington to move along to an easier target ... YOUR (my neighbor) Porsche for example :D

As has been said, anything that will make them think another vehicle just might be an easier target is a good thing. I certainly wouldn't rely on just The Club though.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    blowby likes this.
  15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My " phone" calls people ...

16. BJR

BJR

None of that stuff will even slow a thief down if he has a rollback. That is what the pros have.

17. I leave a rabid spider monkey in the car, he won’t let anyone in who doesn’t know the password. If you try he’ll rip your face off. Works every time….

18. “ touch those tanks and BOOM !”
    4E35A81B-4911-4232-8C6F-6D3BD77686B9.jpeg 08D68A61-B2E9-4EAA-BF63-BA2CE0DAD9F9.jpeg 486037EA-FEC7-4F9D-8845-B59BE82A5CBD.png

No ones ever beat the snake before !!

“ OOOO arrrrr yuuuuuu ??? “