Register now to get rid of these ads!

steering sector roller pin..How to peen it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowsquire, Jul 25, 2011.

1. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Im replacing a sector roller and shaft in a Shoebox steering box, and was wondering what anyone on here had done to replicate the peening process done by Ford?
    It kind of looks like the old pin was heated and then peened in a jig, this is very difficult to do as there are no flat surfaces on the sector, and the force required to peen a hardened shaft of that diameter must be immense! I seriously doubt my 20 ton press will do it.

Has anyone here done this job themselves, and how did you do it?
    I could tack it with the TIG if necessary, but Im not too happy putting that kind of heat into such a precision part.

help?

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

[​IMG]
    For reference , here it is assembled, the old pin in front , you can see the large amount of deformation required to lock it into the sector. I ground the other end off to push it out.

3. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

When I did mine I spotted it real good with my mig.
    I don't think the heat will go deep enoough to have any effect on it.

4. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

[​IMG]

Yeh I think it's the best answer,I just did a short bead each side, didn't get too hot at all, trying to press it would have stuffed up the side clearances, this way it can be ground off easily by the next poor sod in twenty years time. It would be interesting to know how big of a press they used to produce these.. Something like a big power hammer would be my guess. I wonder if Steering Rebuilders have a set up to do these?