Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering column-what is this from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubbyTom, Dec 31, 2012.

1. tubbyTom

tubbyTom

I have this column in my 29 A. The bottom bearing is shot and I need to replace it. First I need to know what the column is out of. I was told originally it was Mustang, but Mustang never had a column shift, so......can anyone identify it for me? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Looks very GM to me. But the shifter looks Mopar. Mopar used Saginaw products.

3. redhumphries

redhumphries

mid 70's chevy van used a lot earlier in street rods.

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'm thinking late 60's Ford...but I agree that it does have a certain Mopar look to it.

Still...I'm going with late 60's/early 70's Ford.
    Something about that shift arm and the Emergency flasher button...

5. Looks like a 67 Thunderbird column I used to have.

6. v8deuce

v8deuce

I think you will find it's a mid 70's Full size Ford from the looks of the shifter and also check the tilt if you push the signal switch towards the "dash" it's Ford if you pull the signal lever towards the driver it's GM.

Randy

7. kustomman

kustomman
    from Solon Ohio

It's out of a ford maybe a van. From 60-70

8. Gator

Gator

You can probably get a generic sealed bearing to fit, my local Ace Hardware has a good selection and its a small store. Get your measurements and check your local Tractor / Industrial supply place, or a good auto parts store.

9. v8deuce

v8deuce

DUUUUUU what am I thinking GM's have a tilt lever and a separate signal lever:eek:

Randy

10. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

looks about 78 chev truck to me .

11. Just take the bearing to your local supplier and match it up. Might have a number on it

12. Old Dude

Old Dude

I believe mid 70's Mopar & Chevy. Were somewhat alike, but this looks like one I installed in my old '33 Ply. which was a '78 Dodge Magnum, & I used the 360 C I Engine & 727 Tranny.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The plug (s) on the turn signal harness might give some indication.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless it's out of a van or Ford pickup it's pre 70 due to not having a key switch in it. TubbyTom the guys are assuming that it is a tilt column which would make it a Ford column if it didn't have a separate tilt lever. Tilt/not tilt? Seeing the rest of it including a shot of the plugs on the signal harness might help too.

15. tubbyTom

tubbyTom

Thanks for all the input so far..................the tilt is the same handle as the blinker handle, you push toward the dash and the column tilts.

With the shifter tab on the bottom, how do you get at the bearing to change it?

16. cracker head

cracker head

I am pretty sure Mustangs had the column shift with the bench seat option...

17. No. No Mustang ever had a column shift.
    I have seen the bench seat Mustangs, and they had the floor shifter.
    Falcons, however, used the same steering box, and therefore the same column bits save for the shifter. So, the Falcon column c*o*u*l*d be used to change a Mustang to column shift.

The above column, based on the tilt mech. is definitely a Ford. The bearing can be accessed by removing the shaft first, then the bearing. Factory service manual is your best friend here.

Cosmo

18. spooler41

spooler41

Looks like a '64 Fairlane column I've got in my parts pile.

................Jack

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

67 to 70 full size Ford or Thunderbird.

20. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 on the 67 T-Bird, or a slight possiblity out of a Galaxie. Assuming the lower portion of the mast jacket is not collapsible then definitely a 67.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  21. tubbyTom

tubbyTom

Ok, so I have determined that the column is definitely Ford. I have also found out that the bottom "bearing" that I thought needed replacement, is actually a "plastic" spacer. It is approx. .80 long with a dimension 1.500 outer diameter X .740 inner diameter. Can anyone tell me if these are available from Ford or??????