Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering column supports?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquigMachine, Aug 15, 2009.

1. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

so i can finally steer! but only to a point, so what do i do to hold my rod:eek: in place so it doesnt twist out of place? or better wording what should i DO? oh its for the 55' pickup:cool:

2. If it has a column, it should have a bearing in the top and bolt to the dash, jacket bolts to the floor, and that usually does it. As cars went to rag joints and hanging pedals, the pedal bracket was tied into the column support to make it pretty bulletproof.

3. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

No this thing never had a column close(lots of little things moved around cause the old one to "vanish" and a newer T-bird *yuck* tilt to be replaced with it....everything is snug i just was wondering if someone had fab'd like a bearing that holds the rod off the framerail or something of the like

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

you got photos of whats in question? cause i'm not following you

5. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Im not folling either. are U talking about the steering column itself,or from the column to a box or rack?:confused:

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

if you have 2 or less ujoints the lower shaft needs no support. if you have 3 or more it needs a support.

PICTURES??????

7. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

if one of the u-joints is by chance a double one then u also need a support bearing---not being smart,but someone might not know the difference between a single & double joint (not any hambers though):D

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

uh,,, no the double U joints don't neccesssarily need a support, depends on how they are used.

Edit: I should clarify a double ujoint used by itself wont need one.

9. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

If your shaft has more that two movable joints in it (a double U Joint counts as two by itself) when you'll need a steering heim attched to the frame somewhere...

10. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Hate to disagree but Borgeson says to use a support in any 3-joint system. If U have a single joint and a double joint that is a 3 joint system. I have this set-up in my T and if I didn't have the support bearing,it would be flopping all over,and for all it costs I think it wouldn't hurt to have one even on a 2 joint system ,but thats just my opinion:D

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

he clarified... its all good

12. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

see thats what i need to do is heim joint it....just not to sure on how to do it (just slip it over the rod and attach it to the frame?)

13. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Pretty much.

14. Falcon

Falcon
    from nevada

what do i do to hold my rod.......LOL

15. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

Go on Ididit or Flaming River web sites and you can might find tech sections that will show you pictures of how their attached.

16. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope these help..

17. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

Sweet Thats perfect! thanks guys(what would i do without ya?....a picture of an ostrich and a dirt hole comes to mind)