Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Column - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Liv42day, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Liv42day

Liv42day

I am in the build of my 30 Model A Tudor and am looking for good steering column recommendations. Are there new plain steel columns I can buy? I see stainless and chrome ones. But would like it to be a bit cheaper. I don't want a tilt column just a straight clean column. Please give me you input! Thanks in Advance!

2. Abomination

Abomination

One of the first tilt/telescoping columns out was off of a '63/'64 Cadillac. They're period-correct for a '60s ride, but the columns and wheels look more '50s than anything. Just make sure to get the horn ring and wheel (they're different than the non-tilt versions), along with the external turn signal switch as well.

~Jason

3. A steering column form a early to mid 60s chevy truck is a clean one. And they are everywhere, and easy to modify.

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Lime Works has a couple of good, basic ones. At least check it out first. I like their quality so far.........

5. Corvairs had a thin, clean column.

6. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

I bought a plain steel one from Limeworks that I'm very happy with.
    They offer them in different lengths, and very reasonable.

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I make mine from 1-1/2" stainless tubing, flare the top end with a big gasket punch. It looks like a stainless early Ford column. Use a new top bushing from Mac's. It will fit in a Mooneyes column drop. The shaft has a graphed top piece from an early Ford shaft attached to a splined shaft to the lower u-joint.

8. Andy

Andy

Bearing supply shops and Tractor Supply have flanged bearings designed for wheel barrows. They have a 3/4 ID and fit inside a 1 1/2 tube. I use them exclusively. About $2. They are sealed ball bearings

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

10. phat rat

phat rat

Chev vans from the 70's had a keyless column although most would have a shifter on them. The shifter can be taken off and smoothed over. Column can then be shortened to whatever lenght you need. Much cheaper than buying a new aftermarket

11. rainh8r

rainh8r

An aluminum softball bat with the ends cut off, a shaft through the center, a bearing on the bottom and use an old pickup signal bell at the top along with the top bearing. Looks good and works well if done right, plus you can have signals. Leave the bat's logo on the side and really make people wonder.

12. LowLincoln

LowLincoln
    from Granby, MA

what else came with telescoping columns ?

13. phat rat

phat rat

14. mustangsix

mustangsix

65-68 Mustang / Falcon / Fairlane

No lumps, bumps, knobs, or switches. Just smooth, with a turn signal lever.

15. Liv42day

Liv42day

Tommy how are these? Do you have one? Thats pretty cheap for a new column. Does it come with everything shown in the picture? And can I get different lengths or is that it?

16. How tough would it be to add a different wheel to a Caddy tilt/tele column? When you move the wheel in and out, what covers up the part that travels? This would be for a '76. Are they a lot different from the early ones? Maybe removing the shifter and key and putting a new skin around the column would make it not look so "modern" and still give room for a fat guy with short arms in a little roadster.:D
    [​IMG]

17. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

I like the old 30s Ford or Chevy columns. You can usually pick them up cheap on the Gay and they accept most of the early splined steering wheels. You could also just make one as has been mentioned on here with some tube and solid shaft. I'm not a fan of the bulky plastic columns with tilt. Depends on what look you're going for. Here's the column in my 30' Tudor.

[​IMG]

18. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I had picked up an early ford column for my 32 but when I found my boat wheel it didn't match up to the column. I ended up going with a piece of exhaust tubing I had lying around with a bronze bushing on the steering wheel end.

19. I bought mine from Speedway Motors chrome around $120.00 nice piece

20. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I would look in junkyard cars from the 50's-60's if cost is your main concern. You can find some clean, good looking columns there.

21. thrasher

thrasher

22. THOMAS S&C

THOMAS S&C

I would say just get some tubing and make one.

Me-oh