Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering column question***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spudshaft, Oct 16, 2003.

1. spudshaft

spudshaft

I have a steering column that I would like to use. It came out of a 60's Pontiac and has no tilt and no key hole. But, instead of a splined shaft at the end of it, there is a rag joint. How do you handle this? If you take the rag joint off is there a splined shaft under there? If so, how do you take it off? All the steering linkages I'm aware of aren't set up for a rag joint.

2. I don't recall what PONCHO used in the 60s but it should either be a splined shaft or a d-shaft.

There should be a pinch bolt holding the rag joint to the shaft. Remove the pinch bolt all the way, and tap the rag joint off. Some rag joints (couplers) were welded to the shaft, either get the grinder, of hack saw out and deal with it.

You can buy a u-joint like a flaming river or somesuch in either a double spline, or double d or any combination of the same.

Worst case scenario, you'll have to get an adapter machined to fit your Poncho shaft to a the coupler that you choose.

If your going directly into the steering box (streetrod style) when you get the joint off the shaft you'll have to figure it out from there.

if it don't make ya dirty it aint yours [​IMG]