Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Steering box

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flat32, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Flat32

Flat32

I'm going to do a historical model of Dick Kraft's The Bug and I want it to be as accurate as humanly possible. I need an I.D. on the steering box used in the original build which may be different from the two replicas he built. I think I can I.D. the front axle, but if somebody already knows what it was please let me know.

Thanks
    steering box the bug.jpg 7983401985_bc9440a09a_o (1).jpg

2. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

4. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Not a F1, worm is over the sector rather than under. Franklin's were popular years ago.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Can't tell on the steering box. The axle looks like a 32, and so does the spindles.

Which version are you doing? The one with the T body or the stripped down version? Notice the wishbone is whole on the roadster and split on the stripper.

6. Flat32

Flat32

I'm wanting to do the stripped and I assume the T body one is the same car that got progressively modified, but the steering box stayed the same. I know steering boxes are hard to identify and fuzzy photos don't help. This famous photo is my target version. What I'm hoping to find is a lead to somebody that knew the car or knew Dick Kraft back in the day when gearheads studied every detail of a car. Those guys are old pharts, like me, and I have to think some are still around or lurking here. I noticed the replicas don't have what looks like a Model A front crossmember on the original. Anybody have closeup shots of the replica details?? Steering box may match.
    THE BUG.jpg

7. touring20

touring20

It looks to me to be a steering box out of a 1951 to 1954 Chevy pu .
    That close to the headers is going to make for some hot grease !

8. bct

bct

model A is my vote

9. k9racer

k9racer

A man in Daytona Beach Fla built a perfect replica of the Kraft car. His name was Glenn McGlonie. He is a restorer of vintage race cars and a speaker on racing in the Daytona area. Try to contact him.. Also Don Gartlis had the orignal Kraft car in his collection a few years ago. Call his place.. Good Luck Bobby

10. Flat32

Flat32

Certainly not a Chevy p/u '51--'54 since the car was built prior to 1950. According to D.K. hisself he sold the car at the end of the race season in 1950. Then made two replicas in 1985 one of which is in the Garlits museum and has some parts that were used at one time on the original. Other replica is in a NHRA museum. https://www.nhra.com/videos/2017/tales-strip-dick-kraft-s-bug
    One of the replicas looks like it has a '32 -'34 box. Original car may be a Gemmer version. I haven't found a good photo or tech drawing of a Model A, but I've got a '31 and a '32 in storage that I need to take a look at.

11. If you are building a model I'm assuming its going to be 1/24th or 1/25th scale.....check the Revell/Monogram 1931 Ford Woody/Tudor kits as they have a good Model A steering box, also the Revell 1929 Model A Pickup kit has the same steering box part in it, also the AMT 1936 Ford Coupe has a good steering box in it tho' the Model A kits would probably be a more accurate version to use...........dunno if this helps..............andyd

12. Flat32

Flat32

I'll be building various scales, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/25. I 3D print the parts. I get anal on details so do my own parametric computer models. 1/25 is challenging because I have to dumb down a special version of my files to print them. holley ford.jpg

13. Flat32

Flat32

Replica box looks like it might be same as the green one.

Screenshot 2017-12-16 replica box.jpg Screenshot 2017-12-16 replica box.jpg IMG_0020_(Small).jpg

14. For 1/8th scale check the Revell/Monogram 32 Ford Roadster/Big Deuce and Big T kits, for 1/16th scale check the Minicraft 1/16th scale Model A kits, they did a 30 or 31 Roadster, Tudor & Panel Delivery kits both bog stock and hotrod versions.....the Hot Rod versions use a finned headed Flathead V8, triple carbed intake and a quick change rear end, all the hot up bits were scaled from the Revell/Monogram 1/8th Big Deuce version that included the Flathead V8, 1/16th being half the size of 1/8th..........more useless info, lol............andyd