Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering box ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tysond, Feb 6, 2011.

1. tysond

tysond

I was told this was out of a 38 ford pickup when I bought it. But it doesn't look like it to me. Can anyone id this for me? I'm thinking of using it in my AV8.

Attached Files:

2. Don't know what it's out of but it's not '38 Ford pickup. I've owned a '38 Ford pickup going on 45 years and still have the original Ford box though I'm using a '64 Chevelle box in the truck now. A '38 Ford pickup box is a cross-steer design (drag link runs parallel to tie rod and connects to right spindle). '37-'39 car and 1/2 ton pickup use the same box (actually the same basic box is used up through '48, '39 was the last year to have the headlight switch on the bottom of the steering box activated by a rod through the hollow steering shaft, but other than that Ford used the same basic box up through '47 pickup and '48 car). Whatever the box is that you have, it is a side steer (drag link parallel to frame rail and connected to left spindle), looks like it could be something out of a big truck--look to see if it has a name like Ross or Gemmer on it, as they made steering boxes for many different applications and supplied the big truck manufacturers.