Register now to get rid of these ads!

State of The Union

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Tough break Ryan, I feel your pain

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  2. sololobo

sololobo

You are being brave Ryan, this is a complete failure by officials that should have done preventive insulating, etc. as they had this happen years before. I have so many Texas friends who have suffered damages like yours. And a legendary keyboard player Gene Taylor losing his life due to hypothermia in his home. Best of luck getting things squared away, wish I was there to help, stay strong Sir!

Stogy likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Watching the struggles y'alls were (still are) going through down there on the news boss.
    Made our pissy problems up here seem pretty trivial, all I could do was queue up something appropriate.
    RIP SRV!

4. My issues came from a copper line running through the attic going to the ice maker. All the plumbing had been replaced with plastic except for that one, and it wasn't insulated. Kinda hard to drip the ice maker. But if we would have had electricity, I would have stuck a space heater in the attic.

The electricity kicked back on after 2 days, we were not at home (it got to 35 inside the house) and there is an HVAC duct running right by the copper pipe that burst. I was home within 45 minutes of the power being restored and the damage was already done. I guess the HVAC ducting warmed up that pipe just enough..

Stogy likes this.
  5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Stay strong brother!
    I guess Old Man Winter hadn't gotten the memo about "Don't Mess With Texas"

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Oh man. There was no way to get around those issues.
    Hawaiian Ryan.
    Broken ribs? Oh my. I bet you were ready to pack up and go back to paradise.
    Hope you’re feeling better.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I laid on the ground and cried for help. No one answered, so I crawled through the snow and into the house... fell to the ground, and cried for help again. My wife finally heard me, approached, and then I yelled at her to get away from me.

Not my finest hour. Even worse, I basically repeat this whole episode every time I sneeze, laugh, or cough...

Now, imagine me on the floor of my well house at 3am trying to fix pipes after all of this bullshit... Yes, I was ready to be back home in Hawaii. :)

Tim, LOST ANGEL, Petejoe and 7 others like this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It went to -20 for two weeks and stayed there, here, in 1972. I was working as a service plumber at the time....
    Damn, has it been that long ago....
    Cold and water then stir in loss of power. You know it got cold when the porcelain throne is in pieces on the floor.
    You will start casually looking at something that will be a stand by generator while hunting for hot rod parts I suspect as you are the self reliant type. It is a bitch sometimes being a one man band and you do a great job!
    On a side note, UPS and FedEx can't find me but USPS does every time.

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thoughts your way and to so many others that have to rebuild from this somewhat epic disaster on so many levels...its been a hellish 2 years...:oops:

WalkerMD and mad mikey like this.
  10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

The above combination does not compute. There ain't one easy thing about four broken ribs. Not one. Fixing busted pipes in a well house with four broken ribs... I would have minted fresh new curse words, and combinations of curse words.

I'm sorry you have to go through all of this, and don't ship me anything I might consider ordering until you are real good and ready.

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Ryan, a traditional mail order company would demand payment by check or money order and nothing would be shipped until the check cleared your bank. No problem with calculating shipping charges if you send products freight collect and mark cash only on the shipping charges.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It’s official assholes!!!! As of ten minutes ago, I now have hot water in the house!!! AND, I have at least cold water everywhere with no leaks!

I am an impossible to find booster pump housing away from being 100% leak free!

TrailerTrashToo, NoSurf, Tim and 12 others like this.
  13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It could be worse. Your shitter could back up. 4 inches of water is better than 4 inches of shit.

loudbang, Stogy, Phillips and 2 others like this.
  14. Stogy likes this.
  15. SR100

SR100

Mold will grow before you can see it. Ask your wife to smell your workspace for mold. Better yet, get an air scrubber and industrial size dehumidifier. You'll be shocked at just how much water it will pull out of the room, and for how long. Renting them isn't cheap, but your health is worth it. I wouldn't have been able to stay here after our flood without them.

loudbang, Stogy and WalkerMD like this.
  16. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Good luck with everything!

Stogy likes this.
  17. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Tough news for sure. I feel for the mess and your ribs. One day at a time, incrementally it will get better. Hang in there. Glad everyone is safe. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. WOW! That's indeed a buncha shit to tolerate! Glad the hot water is back. I'll bet you guys all need hot showers by now. After reading all this, I feel guilty as hell for whining because I didn't get my Alliance tag. Get better, go slow.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang when you do it you do it up big. That is a lot of pipes.
    My sister in law and her hubby live out past you on Divide pass in the middle of a cedar break. They had those power stoppages but I haven't heard about any water issues.

Around here the stores sell different styles of ice grips that you stick on your shoes to be able to walk on the ice without slipping. I bought a pair a few years ago when I had to navigate a hundred yards of ice to get from the parking lot to the air terminal at work. That was after I fell on my ass about three times. Ice grips.jpeg

As for the US mail, having tracked a lot of packages in the past few months I'd have to say that a lot of stuff is simply getting held up on shipping docks of the "shipping partners" until they get a trailer full To be able to haul a full load to the distribution point it is going to. Tracking packages the seem to get delivered to one of those shipping partners and disappear for days.

20. Damn.

I have a commercial half turn/gate valve, near the lowest point of my slab plumbing. You can literally shut off and empty your structure of water, in seconds.

When you're feeling handy enough, look into similar for whatever your structure of choice is. For emergency purposes, and a simple fail safe.

This thread hurts. I can't even imagine. Sorry, fellas.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan I went through the multiple broken rib. deal a few years ago. I'd rather slide down a mile-long razor blade and land in a vat of lemon juice than go through that again.

FYI, do you have ground fault circuit breakers in the Atomic HQ? Hopefully you never have to vacuum water again, but the GFCI breakers can save your ass.

Also, keep a close eye on the sheetrock behind those new cabinets and workspace, because that's one of the areas the mold will love. I assume since the pipe burst in the wall that area got quite wet. My wife worked in a doctors office that was adjacent to a dentists office. There was a leak in the dentists office, and soaked the wall separating the two. A few months later a lot of the folks in the office were having bouts of coughing, sneezing, sore throats, etc. They moved a row of file cabinets that were up against the wall separating the two offices and the sheetrock was covered in black and grey mold. No air was able to circulate between the wall and the file cabinets, and the mold thrived. Please keep a close eye on it, and maybe in 2 or 3 months buy a couple of mold test kits and check your environment.

My wife now has a chronic lung condition caused by breating that shit.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I had a fan on it almost immediately. That fan has been off the last two days while I rebuilt all the pipes, but have since set it back up and plan to run it for a week solid before I fix the sheetrock in that closet... I also might do the dehumidifier thing... I'm nervous about it for sure...

I busted my ass on those cabinets/desk setup:

And I'm super proud of it... but if I have too, I'll rip all that shit out.

Petejoe, 41 GMC K-18 and winduptoy like this.