Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Starting my '29 Tudor rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1stGrumpy, Oct 11, 2015.

1. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I have the Mitchell synchro gearbox installed and like it a lot. About to install the Mitchell over-drive as well. As you have already stated, a rear end ratio change is another option to increase your top speed a little. Watching to see where you head with this. Good luck.

2. Thanks, waxhead.

3. 20160502_154521 (Large).jpg 20160502_154940 (Large).jpg
    Well Jim, 1st step, the 31! I've decided to go with 35, 16" wheels with a 6.00 in the front, and a 7.00 in the rear (old school bias). Between that and some spring removal the stance should be right. Pealing the spares, and bumpers, and rear rack., but storing all! Banger Bretheren Unit!

barrnone50, kiwijeff and 1stGrumpy like this.
  4. Sounds like a plan, Chris. Are you going to do anything with the motor?

5. Hey Jim, the car is coming right along. Looking great and all the mods seem to be working out well. Sure makes me miss my '29, bangers are a lot of fun for sure. If you ever decide to play with the rear end, I've got a set of speed gears that I never got around to using.
    Keep up the nice work.

6. I've heard some good things, about the police head, and maybe some carboration. Really not sure! Want to sit and talk with you and some of the guys that have experience with the banger motors!

7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

8. Thank you, crminal. What's the gear ratio?

9. Here's what performance things I have done to mine.... "B" head (came with my motor), Tattersfield downdraft intake, Rebuilt Stromberg 97 (rebuilt by Uncle Max), FSI electronic distributor with centrifugal advance, lightened flywheel & V8 clutch. I have a '38 transmission that I'm going to install and I plan on changing the rear end gearing.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  10. PM sent

11. It's been quite awhile since I have made any updates to this thread. When I last posted, the plan was to take it to Dewey ( 2016), well that didn't happen!
    I got everything back together the night before we were leaving and took it on a test drive, I couldn't hold it on the road! Went wherever it wanted to! Needless to say, it didn't go with us.
    When we got back from Dewey, I started investigating and found several problems... steering box was worn out and the front cross member was cracked in numerous places, not to mention a lot of mickey mouse shit had been done to it. Time to tear it down and get it right...
    Front of frame, around the front cross member forward had seen several repair attempts and none of them were good. I really didn't want to replace the whole frame so it was decided to replace the front section of the frame rails instead. I found a pair of frame rails that were good from the rear motor mounts forward, we spliced these in between the rear mounts and front cross member. We butt welded them together, added fish plates on the inside and boxed the frame 4 inches on either side of the butt weld. I was able to find a n.o.s. 1931 cross member and installed it.
    100_1500.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    kidcampbell71, Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  12. Since it was torn down anyway, I decided to go ahead and start looking for the stuff to do an old school front drop. After a lot of time and a lot of searching, I was able to find what I needed for the 4" drop. I found a n.o.s. 1935 front axle, a pair of 1932 front spindles and bought a pair of new 1932 spring perches. I already had a reversed eye main leaf and had removed two leaf's, I removed one more leaf and started re assembling. I also found a recently rebuilt Gemmer 2 tooth steering box but haven't installed it yet.

View attachment 3414413

Attached Files:

• 68.JPG
      68.JPG
      File size:
      189.2 KB
      Views:
    • 69.JPG
      69.JPG
      File size:
      176.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. So that brings things up to date, I am awaiting the return of the my '32 spindles (Joe's Speed Shop has them and is installing the new bushings and lapping in the new kingpins). Once I get them back and installed, I can finish putting the front end back together and get it back on it's wheels. I will need to straighten the left frame horn so I can start putting the sheet metal back on.

14. A little more done....

N.o.s. 1935 front axle
    New 1932 spring perches
    Used 1932 Spindles
    New Model A king pins
    New Model A shackles
    Used Model A backing plates/brakes
    Used Model A brake actuators

75.jpg 76.jpg

15. Well it's been quite awhile since I have posted anything on the "banger build" and hopefully, now that the surgery is behind me, I can get back to putting it back together. With the help of my step son, we got the body separated from the frame and the old body blocks removed. Since I have to go back to the surgeon, I don't know how much I'll get done tomorrow. Hopefully I will get the go ahead to do more then I have been able to these past few months.
    78.JPG 79.JPG 80.JPG

16. Well, I got the o.k. from the surgeon and my cardiologist to return to normal activities. Now, I just got to get my strength & stamina built back up!
    Today I was able to get the body blocks back in and we got the right front fender on as well as the starter, steering column and some other minor stuff. I know this doesn't sound like a bunch but I'm feeling pretty good about what I have been able to accomplish these last few days.

82.JPG 81.JPG

17. Glad to hear that you're moving forward (even if its slow). Were you able to recruit a helper (besides your step son)?

18. Unfortunately no, I had a couple offers but they ended up to be no shows. It's alright though, the body blocks were the hard part and we're past that now.

19. Getting a little more done every day! Got her setting on her wheels and I am really digging the stance, ass end still has to be done ( going with a Model T rear spring ), will take care of that this fall when I put the '38 top loader and the 3:54 gears in.

. 85.JPG 84.JPG 83.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  20. Shocks, brakes, wishbone & steering all hooked up. Got the tie rod & drag link ends rebuilt. Some dummy (me or someone that looks a lot like me) put the pitman arm on backwards so I had to redo that!
    Clint (my step son) is supposed to come over tomorrow so we can get the other fender on and get the body tightened down. Hopefully I'll get the radiator/shell and hood back on tomorrow as well. We'll see...

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  21. Well, it's finally beginning to look like something! I've got a little dab of wiring to do, finish installing the interior and check all the fluids and she'll be ready to rumble! Should be motoring early next week...

86.JPG

Attached Files:

• 87.JPG
      87.JPG
      File size:
      135.1 KB
      Views:
  22. The stance looks great, be good to see it outside.

1stGrumpy likes this.
  23. Thank you, Jeff. I am really pleased with how the "old school" drop turned out. I'll get her outside and cleaned up and post some more pic's, hopefully next week.

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. Looks fantastic, Jim!

25. Thanks, Bret.

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very nice, can't wait to see more pics

1stGrumpy likes this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Bringing this to the drags?

28. That's my goal, Tim. I just about got the wiring finished up and need to put the front seats in. Grease and adjustments, then see if it will go down the road!
    I don't intend to run it, just show it off at the motel and at Mokan...

Tim likes this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Can't wait :) it's very similar to what we are building over here, any idea what color that is? Looks like Dutches blue a factory 28 or 29 color

30. Actually, it's green! I don't know why it looks blue in the pictures, it must have something to do with the lighting in my shop. Here's a picture of it outside, closer to the actual color. Have you got any pictures of your build?

19.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017