Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starting a build very soon.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29ToyA, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 29ToyA

29ToyA

The boy picked out a car, well a truck to build. It is the 1939 tractor truck I got for parts to make a crew cab. It is a little rough. But it will be a fun project. Plan is to turn it into a pick up. We have 40 suspension and rear end for it. For the power plant it will use a flat head out of my 1938 dump truck. My Grandfather had rebuilt the engine a couple of times, I know it is a Mercury block possible other stuff inside, I know that because he always used Mercury blocks and cranks. For a transmission we have a 3 speed from my Dads old Hot Rod. GrandFather said it ran when it was parked in 62. Nice part, it was parked in a barn until about 9 or 10 years ago. For a bed we will just make one and use a set of 54 F100 rear fenders. For the body I have another grill and pretty good left fender. Need a hood. I would like to find something different for headlights, kinda thinking Chev or anlong that line. He wants to chop it some so that is in the plan too. I will start a build thread or use this one, not sure. Hope to start draging the parts home in the next month.
    Next step is to write out a plan and FOLLOW IT!
    [​IMG]

2. lawman

lawman

You have a handful !!!! Keep posting the progress.Tom (Tired Old Man)

3. Cusco

Cusco
    from Europe

Have a nice start with it...

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

old trucks are cool ,post some build photos

5. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Cool looking truck!!! Good luck with the build....

6. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Well this was a bust!
    The boy said he really does not want to build a car/truck.

7. I can send my driver with a truck to take it off your hands, you know help you clean up the yard :rolleyes:

8. F&J

F&J

There are too many other distractions for a young guy these days.

We older guys built models, minibikes or gocarts...or at least tried. Modern kids get prefinished 1/18 scale models, and a quad.

One small thing I thought of, is how could a kid build anything while texting and cell phoning every few minutes? :)

9. 29ToyA

29ToyA

You must know my boy! :eek:

10. dudley32

dudley32

nice start..and good parts..from a reliable source...family is always good..

11. threeston

threeston

might want to start him off with a more finished and running project. young kids cant see that long term for a project needing so much work. maybe not instant gratification, but something that will get him to running without frustration that will kill any further enthusiasm.

12. F&J

F&J

No, I have my own copy :D He's 19.5 yr old. He sure changed from 6 to 18, as he no longer wants to creat, build, or work on mech stuff, but he can operate any thing with a motor, and catches on quick.

It's a changed world and kids are not like us for the most part. I am glad my son is not a clone of me. I spent most my life in a shop, he has seen and done more than me so far... he is camping at the ocean last 2 nights...I am doing side work on an Amphicar...to pay bills