Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Starter Woes.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gammz, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Hey all, My thread on this got removed. Posed in the wrong place? No idea.
    Anyways to bring you up to speed. We have a 64 chero with a 5.0L and a c4. Been fighting a grinding with the starter at start up. Goes away after running. Last night after driving down to a buddies for a shop party, I stopped for gas. Trying to start again it wouldn't engage the ring gear! So at the hour of 1:00am we decided to push it to a stall at the gas station and get it in the morning. While shoving it across the lot I bumped it and she caught and fired! Got home safe! Now this morning I went out to assess the damage to the new flex plate and found its ok! Now I found that the starter was tight however one of the bolt ears had broken off! This is the second time its happened! Last time was in Iowa at Eddyville after TECH!!
    Any ideas on why this keeps happening??

2. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

3. squirrel

squirrel

do you have the thin metal plate between the engine and transmission bellhousing?

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is the starter matched for the trans or the engine

5. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Yes we do.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

The starters I've been using are matched for the engine. Perhaps a starter for the transmission year instead?

7. There are two different sizes of holes in the thin metal locating plate between the bell and the engine. make sure you aren't trying to tighten a large diameter starter into one of the smaller holed plates.

8. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Meaning?? Bolt holes? Or the hole that the starter goes in? I only have one hole to put the starter in and only on set of bolt holes that line up to bolt the starter on....

9. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

That is the correct starter for the automatic transmission, standard transmission starters had a short nose. If the hole in the thin plate is worn oversized the starter can shift, it's used for alignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

The plate we used is new when we did the build last year. I'm wonder now if the bell housing isn't letting the starter fully sit down on the plate. There for when bolting it down it appears to be ok but after a time the ears are on a slight bind and snap off. Just throwing it out there....

11. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Looking at a starter for a 1968 mustang. Thats the same year of my c4 it does have a different part number and costs a bit more. I can't tell online if there are any differences.

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe see if the part store has both and see if there is a different offset

Gammz likes this.
  13. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The original starter was lester(rebuilt) number 3124 the starter you have on now was a later version looks like a # 3180. The 3124 or a 3153 were larger and had beefier mounting ears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gammz likes this.
  14. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

We will be calling tomorrow to get eyes on them.

15. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I'll get the parts house to get them both and see what's what. I'm going to get a picture of the bell housing hole and block plate hole and post it tomorrow.

16. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I would really like to find out why this happens. Has anyone out there had this happen to them?

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was just lucky when it comes to Ford starters but I start with the one for the trans.

18. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

have you tried any of the 93 and newer starters? They are a oem mini starter. Looks like an easy swap and a bit of wiring change. Also the mounting ears look a hell of a lot thicker.

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No I have not
    The thing to compare is the offset of the drive gear. You would have to have a straight look at the end to see it.

20. I struggled with a starter for a long time a few years ago and then I checked the big hole that the starter nose goes into. I found out that in Ford's infinite wisdom they made a starter with a mounting flange that is only about 1/8 inch bigger than the one I needed. I found another starter and measured the lip that goes into the hole on the plate. It was just a tad smaller and I put it in there and it fit perfectly. So there are at least two sizes of large holes in those plates between the engine and the bellhousing. I finally put in a mini starter to save space, but check the big hole and make sure its the same size as the starter nose lip.

21. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Ok. Now I'm picking up what our laying down. I'll give it a peek see tomorrow and report back. May I ask what you used for the mini? OEM? Aftermarket?

22. I think the mini I have is one of the 93 and newer starters you mentioned. Its a Ford OEM replacement but I forgot where I got it.......old age is a bitch.

Gammz likes this.
  23. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The rebuilt number for the late model gear reduction starter is 3268.

Gammz likes this.
  24. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

25. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Now as I think on it more. I'm leaning toward goings with the year starter that would have came with my transmission. Reason my flexplate is 157 not 162. And in them olden days they came with the 157. Now I think the 157 flexplate i have is not liking the starter for a late model mustang.
    Does that make any sense at all. My alter ego says it does. And he's never steered my wrong...............

26. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

If you are not having hard starting troubles the old stock starter should work well for you.
    The biggest issues with Ford starter troubles are bad grounds, corroded cheap cables that drop voltage and bad batteries.

Gammz likes this.
  27. garyf

garyf

Two things to look at - The factory starter bolts usually have a good size shoulder on them, the wrong bolts will shift the starter when engaged .- Some Ford starters have one bolt goes in from the front and one from the rear, take a close look how your bell ,,housing is threaded

Gammz likes this.
  28. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Well we might be onto something here. I just grabbed a couple bolts out of my bin and used them. 3/8-16 1 1/2 or 2 can't remember. That could of added to the problem. I'll get some starter bolts when I get my new starter! Thanks for the heads up!

29. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Would any one happen to know the exact diameter of the starter hole on the block plate? I want to take a measurement of mine and see f perhaps it's not within spec. Thanks bros.

30. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Well kids. Brand new not reman starter. For the year of the transmission. And it still in my opinion makes to much noise when cranking. Checked block plate hole size and it's all good with new starter. I'm at a loss.
    Tried to see thru the inspection hole while the ol lady hit the key to make sure we had full engagement. And it appears it is.
    So here is this idea, could it be the crank thrust bearings are going bad and when cranking the crankshaft is walking to and fo?
    And then there is the notion that is just the way it sounds when it starts. And I'll have to check starter bolts after a few drives.
    I do think I will drive it over to the place I got the new starter and have the old guy have a listen. He's been around for years in town here. They do rebuilds of alt and starter for the company I work for as well as a shit ton of companies around here. It called Freds Auto Electric.