Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starter for push button trans ..mopar guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tattoos by brandon, May 26, 2014.

1. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

I have a 1959 Chrysler with the original pushbutton transmission and I am on my second starter trying to find one that fits that is a mini starter so I can run my headers this is the one I have but this is how it would need to bolt up to work ...will this be ok ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

There should be an aluminum plate about 3/4 thick between the block and tranny. That is what the starter bolts to. I've 20 or 30 plates if you need one- pay the ride only.

3. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Right on is that for the aftermarket starters thier wasn't one with the original and yeah Idk where else I can get one

4. porky55

porky55

I don't think there was ever a plate between the big block and trans. That was only the smaller engines, right?

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

The thick starter plate is a STOCK piece. You need it regardless if your starter is stock or aftermarket as it has the STARTER mounting studs in it - if you look at your block you'll notice there are no actual holes/studs to mount the starter.

EDIT: That trans looks like my 392 iron t/f trans - I base my comments on that. There are 2 versions of that starter for the early hemi - they are quite similar but do not interchange. IIRC each will bolt on, but the gear placement is different. I don't know how thw 59's are set up but I would guess they might be the same as the 392's since that was their "newer" motor (with regards to the 354's I mean).

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  6. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

The motor was a 413 and I believe it's a 3 speed push button

Attached Files:

7. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

When we removed the starter thier was no plate and it worked fine and that's how that car came ...

8. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Ok You got me - I learn something everyday - I didn't realize they ever put that style bell on the iron t/f trans. You fooled me with the starter - it looks like a early hemi starter - which at least "look" symmetrical as far as the mtg holes and pilot. Is it an illusion or is the pilot on your powermaster WAY too big to fit the opening?

9. porky55

porky55

You shouldn't have a problem using a stock 318 magnum mini starter. I ran one on my 440 and it fit just fine. Is that another summit part? You can buy a magnum starter from any part store.

10. 73RR

73RR

Take a good look at the pic of the starter pocket in the bell...it does not have a pilot for the nose of the post-62 style starter. This particular starter/bell combo is similar to a pre-62 manual bell where the starter mounts direct to the bell w/o a 'Hemi-style' mounting plate.
    It might be possible that someone has a 'mini' starter for this application but I'd be surprised.
    Me thinks that some header surgery is in order.

11. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Tomorrow I am calling a place to see if they can put a smaller motor on the starter but I am already in the process of cutting the headers ..its.just one simple tube and it's to much to just hammer ...I basically bought every starter and set of headers out thier that might work and im.back to square one