Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stalling question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Colombo, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Colombo

Colombo

So, this weekend I was driving my 54 Ford car around town to a couple shows and on my way home the car stalls when turning a corner. I am now thinking "out of gas" but not the case. I started the car and off I go and when I slow down the car stalls. I wait a minute and start the car again and off I go but this time I keep the gas pedal on and just make the turn while holding the clutch at a higher RPM.
    What would cause the car to just die out?
    I am thinking dirt in the carb but not sure.
    before this the car has been running great with no issues, but I know for sure there was a little trash in the tank when I installed it. Could not get it all out.

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Either trash in the tank or in my case it was the carb. If I turned left the car stalled, If I turned right or went straight, no problem. It was a float problem. Check the float for mis-allignment or a pin hole.

3. Does it happen only when turning? If you have PS, maybe the steering pump is acting up and slowing things down to a point of stalling?

4. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

My buddy have a vega that stalled while the car was making a turn...as best as I can recall,... it turned out to be a warped carb top section to the lower section which made the gasket leak....Miller

5. Could be from dirt in the tank now in the carb, you did install a couple of fuel filters didn't you? When I have a dirty tank I always start out with a couple of cheapo inline fuel filters that I can change out as they get plugged until I suck all the crap out of the tank. If no filters I would consider that the crap from the tank now resides in the carb.

Something else to look for is a vacumm leak. Stalling at idle is a good sign of a vacumm leak. Maybe check for that.