Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stainless Trim Installation Advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Coupe, Dec 12, 2020.

1. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Hi all,
    When reinstalling stainless body trims on '40's era Fords is there a sealing product or material that can be applied around the clips and holes to help avoid water ingress later on?
    Thanks for any input.

2. If it's a hole that needs to be sealed and there's not a readily available rubber gasket, you could use windshield butyl seal. Pull off a small piece and roll it in your fingers, then wrap it around the stud

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3M caulk strip will work, as well. Apply the same way.

4. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks for the great advise guys, very much appreciated.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Why not just use a dab of silicone gasket maker. You likely have a tube or two in your tool box already. Don't make things too complicated. When I mount up a bumper I always put a dab of silicone under the head of the bumper bolt (not enough to show) to help prevent stress on the chrome at the bolts.

Budget36, texasred and alanp561 like this.
  6. I use a dab of silicone or a neoprene washer depending on how the clip mounts. A good example of the use of the washer is the threaded stud clip for the belt molding below the rear window.

Budget36 likes this.