Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stack Height?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JaysinSpaceman, Dec 16, 2006.

1. 37 Stack Front.jpg 37 Stacks Rear.jpg

Hey~ I want some opinions. This is the 37 Chevy truck I am building and I am running these stacks. Question is How high above the cab do you think they should be? This is where your opinion comes in.

I know the keg in the bed is not vintage but the price was right and being stainless it will make a great fuel tank. Thanx for your input.

Jaysin

2. I dunno, maybe 6" shorter with some turnouts aimed back a little? Or put an elbow and fold them back to ride just under the lip of the bed all the way to the back.

But I heard a funny story about those stacks from a friend of mine. A guy in his high school in the early '60s had those on an old pickup and the guy's friends wanted to play a prank on him. They filled his stacks with a bottle of baby powder and then went and told the guy that his truck was smokin' a little and that maybe he needed a ring job. The guy was all bent out of shape and he went out and started it up to prove how great it ran and a huge white cloud blasted into the air and they all stood around and laughed their heads off.

3. I like the story, sounds like something my friends would do to me. Only they wouldn't tell me and would leave me to wonder what the hell was going on. I probably should have mentioned that the stacks will get flapper covers as soon as I finish them, nice and clanky flappers.

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I know the keg in the bed is not vintage but the price was right and being stainless it will make a great fuel tank. Thanx for your input."

Dunno about that......I had one on my HD trike back around '64-'65.........

[​IMG]

5. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Weather caps? are you serious? It's not a peterbuilt. I like rustybolts' idea to run them down the bed rails. If your dead set on stacks turn them back so they don't gather water.

6. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Either elbow them at the bed or Cut them off even with the cab top.My uncle ran clanky flappers on his '53 F-1 he had until a couple years ago I stole the thrush flappers off of it before he sold it though I keep swearing I'm gonna use them on something.You should find a set of those the counter wieght is the woodpeckers head and it says thrush in the feathers.I'll try and get some pics of them up soon.Good luck, Paul

7. TINGLER

TINGLER

Flappers rule.

Visially those pipes need to be a bit shorter.

Legally......I have no clue.

I think most places the law is like 12 feet into the air or something. :rolleyes: :D

8. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

i was planning on running stacks on my 54 with propane throwers, was thinking like 3-4'' above the top of the roof. they do look good on there. i like the flappers too.