Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ssssssnake Oil Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carbking, Mar 20, 2019.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

2. I might have bought that also. Just for the Lee Petty connection.

3. See anything else good? I'm headed up tomorrow.

loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  4. Ha, it was hard to keep the money in my pocket. But I did score a Moriarty style color wheel.. IMG_20190322_180617147.jpg

5. pkhammer

pkhammer

6. There were a lot of vendors with neat stuff. Lots of vintage signs. Conspicuous by their absence was 30s-40s parts. The demographic is changing. The old guard is sadly fading away. In my early 50's, I feel the responsibility of carrying on the hobby. I really want to get the young folks amped up about old iron.

loudbang, Deuces and wraymen like this.
  7. Remember, "BIG" does have a contract with MOPAR though... :cool:

jaw22w and Deuces like this.
  8. I have an early aluminum Christmas tree to go with that.

loudbang, Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

WTF , Randy? This is a thread for old , crazy shit that was marketed back in the day.

Edit: that is Rusty

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  10. Does anybody remember the additive called “Slick 50”? I remember seeing ads for it when I was in high school. I don’t remember much about it, but a counterman at the local NAPA telling me that their engine remanufacturer wore out a set of honing stones trying to hone a block that was “treated” with this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96 and loudbang like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Is that the oil that has the little grey grafite (sp) BBs in it???? Just curious....

loudbang likes this.
  12. pkhammer

pkhammer

Slick 50 reps used to set up at shows and would demonstrate with a small engine by treating it with their oil additive, running it, then stopping it, drain out ALL the oil, then run it again with no oil claiming it wouldn't damage the engine. I think Slick 50 is still on the market.

Deuces, Danny Brown and loudbang like this.
  13. Slick 50, was an oil product with PTFE (Teflon, the stuff they coat on frying pans) added to it. I never used it, because all the advertising at the time was just a bunch of people stating that it was a miracle for them. Detractors, including the oil companies and engine manufacturers, stated that using it would void the product warranties.
    I did know people that used it and swore by it.
    There were other additive products as well, there was a chorinated parrifin product called Protec. If it sat in an engine being stored, the chlorine would corrode the metal internally, particularly the valves.
    Another product from the 60s, was called MolySlip. It used molydibdinum disulfate as the active ingredient, and the idea was that it would coat the bearings and the wear surfaces. Molydibdinum disulfate is still used today in heavy duty greases, so it is difficult to know if the product worked to reduce wear in an engine.
    I had a notice from one particular synthetic oil manufacturer, that these types of products would saturate the oil, and precipitate the additive package (the components added to the oil to increase life and combat corrosion) out of solution.
    My conclusion back then, was to let other people experiment with their engines. I used an SAE approved synthetic, and got all the advantages of more power, better mileage, longer life, and lower temperatures, without worrying if my engine was going to fail.
    Bob

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Those things are cool

Deuces likes this.
  15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D IIRC,the FAA approved it(Slick 50) for use in aircraft engines.So it must have passed their testing.And I do remember those old adds.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Deuces likes this.
  16. I remember a guy down in central FL who ran a 6 cyl. Chevy on a little trailer with the sheet metal off and NO oil! :eek: Used to see him all over the place at flea markets and swap meets.
    He was selling some oil additive (I think it was "PYROIL").

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Been on the shelf for probably 10 years, afraid to use it.

0323192013_HDR_resized.jpg

Montana1 likes this.
  18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Slick 50 is still in business, you can buy their engine treatment at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slick-50...MI8-PP9fqZ4QIVgx6tBh26ZQ4pEAQYASABEgK_kPD_BwE

Deuces, loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I tried that Slick 50 stuff once but doubt it worked like advertised.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran a " water" injector back in the early 70's on a pickup with cab over camper. When I realized it only worked on high vacuum I also used a windshield sprayer pump and manual switch to the nozzle mounted under the air cleaner.

Not as snake oil but I found that I could stop it over heating when towing by adding line on the top edge of the radiator with about 10 little holes drilled in it and running similar pump from a tank with water. When starting a long climb I could turn on the once in a while and cool the engine down.

Jet96 likes this.
  21. 61 Sunliner

61 Sunliner

I went to school with a guy that had a gadget in the trunk of his 61 Imperial, supposed to be a Gyroscope. Gyromatic or some such thing.
    I remember my stepdad trying to extend the life of the engine in his Lancer with an overhaul kit from JC Whitney that consisted of pellets you dropped in the spark plug holes to supposedly seal the rings and an oil additive that was probably motor honey.
    I had an early Bronco that the PO had put a new motor in and he swore by the Arco Graphite oil. Since that is what he had been using I continued to use it untill I could no longer find it. I sold that Bronco with 150,000 miles on that motor and still running strong when I sold it.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  22. That is not quite correct. The FAA declared that it was FAA accepted, in other words you were allowed to use the product at your own risk.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...slick-50-are-false-and-misleading-ftc-charges
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  23. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi J-jock.Thanks for the info.It has been many years since I read that article.As time marches on,our memories get rather foggy it seems.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

j-jock and loudbang like this.
  24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Hey, if Lee Petty says this works, who are we to disagree?

[​IMG]

loudbang and wraymen like this.
  25. 54vicky

54vicky

if you could bottle the methane from some of these stories you would have full tank at the ready.I am old enough to remember almost all

loudbang likes this.
  26. BJR

BJR

Remember the teflon oil additive in the 1970's? It was suppose to increase your mileage by reducing friction. I hooked up a tac to my engine and put a can of the super teflon in the oil with the engine running. The can was only about 4 or 6 oz. The engine RPM's immediately went up about 500 RPM. I tried this on 3 different cars with the same result. When I tried to buy more I couldn't find it anywhere. This was not Slick 50. WTF

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  27. 54vicky

54vicky

I have a couple of cans my deceased BIL bought into it.could not give it away poor bastard

28. 54vicky

54vicky

you got to hand it to them good old bullshit did baffle brains and still does.if you believed it worked:rolleyes::rolleyes: