Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sputtering/hesitation when making right turns.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Betty41, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Big Betty41

Big Betty41

I have an issue of sputtering/hesitation and what feels like "running out of gas" every time I make a right turn.

When I bought the car it would backfire several times and was a little difficult to drive. Once I had the Carburetor rebuilt, it drove significantly better. I was delighted that the fuel issue was eliminated after the rebuild, or so I thought. About the 5th to 7th time driving it, I began to notice sputtering and hesitation on right turns. I tried to duplicate the problem on left handed turns but had no success. However when it comes to right turns, its like clockwork. Last night, while driving straight, pulling away from a traffic light, it backfired badly and blew the muffler out.

I'm assuming this is a fuel issue and the best thing is to take it back to the gentleman that rebuilt the carburetor. However, prior to doing so, I wanted to obtain more information and educate myself a little from the all the experienced folks within this forum. Things like incorrect float adjustment, something vibrating loose, poorly tightened screws, etc. or am I way off?

Here's an update.... "After taking a look at the distributor, since it was backfiring, I noticed that the dist rotor had a little play. I removed it and squeezed the metal tab a little more so it would eliminate the play and sit firmly on the shaft. The backfiring was eliminated. However, it still hesitates on right turns and if I press hard on the accelerator it also begins to stall as if its sucking air. It will drive smoothly if I feather the gas." Vehicle is a 1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Business Coupe (D19) all original.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

New fuel filter?

firstinsteele likes this.
  3. trollst

trollst

Don't make right turns?

4. Big Betty,,,Do you think everyone here is a damn mind reader??You make no mention of what kind of car that's giving you the shits,,,I would say YOUR WAY OFF,,

Petejoe likes this.

5. vickckik

vickckik

It's a NASCAR carburetor tuned for left turns only. Seriously, you could tell us the car description and make and model of the carb. There's lots of help here but we need more info.

6. Sounds more like a fuel issue, did you replace the fuel filter and have you had the gas tank cleaned? HRP

7. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Backfiring out the exhaust usually indicates an electrical issue. Engine is running, looses power to ignition, unburned fuel enters the exhaust, ignition power comes back causing the unburnt fuel to ignite in the exhaust...backfiring and sometimes blowing out/off the muffler.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '32 roadster will do that (it's either right or left, can't remember) when it is getting low on fuel. Stock tank and pickup btw. No so low that running out is imminent and have never actually ran out, but have driven for quite some distance afterwards, so not that low. So it could be as simple as having more fuel on board. It's probably float related though, but simply putting some more fuel in it might eliminate that as an issue. I neglected to mention that my stumble is instantaneous as there must be a drop in pressure that the efi notices (I hope nobody notices that though!)

Chris

9. squirrel

squirrel

sounds to me like ignition, there's something loose that is making it lose spark then regain it, and when it does, POW

I had a similar symptom years ago in a Plymouth, the ignition coil was mounted on it's side, and was leaking oil....I guess it was partly shorted inside, when going around a corner it would die, then run fine when stopped and you started the engine again.

But I also had a worn ignition switch causing the same problem, I guess the weight of the keys moving around, would cause it to wiggle enough that it would cut out for a second. And I worked on an other vehicle that had a loose tilt mechanism in the steering column, same thing, wiggle the steering wheel, temporarily cuts off the ignition.

and then there was the rented Fiat in Sicily, had a loose wire on the ignition coil....

hell, I could go on all day

302GMC and belair like this.
  10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I was thinking about the float level being to low or high.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. My bet is the accelerator pump isn't coming in soon enough

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. rjones35

rjones35

What about the fuel pickup?

Cosmo50 likes this.
  13. While you're poking around under the hood, check all your ground cables for tight, clean, metal-to-metal connections. Check the positive cables as well, and any bulkhead connectors at the firewall. Look for any wiring that might be better routed away from brackets or braces or other areas that could chafe or melt insulation.

It also wouldn't hurt to post some underhood pictures from a couple of different angles here.

harpo1313 likes this.
  14. Joe H

Joe H

Check the motor mounts, engine could be rocking over pulling wires loose.

carbking, ClayMart and Cosmo50 like this.
  15. 1ton

1ton

Two rights don't cure a wrong but three lefts make a right.

Truck64 and carbking like this.
  16. 3340

Ignition, cross firing

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

My god what type of engine, ignition, and carb do you have? As said before we can’t even guess till YOU tell us.

18. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Engine I guess came from a UPS truck .

19. carbking

carbking

Probably not, UPS trucks only make right turns ;)

Jon.

egads likes this.
  20. Big Betty41

Big Betty41

LOL...... Well, I guess I did leave certain necessary information out. My apologies. It's the original carbureted L6 Flathead engine along with all the other original items such as a single barrel Stromberg Carb. Per my profile, the vehicle is a 1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Business Coupe (D19). I'll update my original post with the following. After taking a look at the distributor since it was backfiring I noticed that the dist. rotor had a little play. I removed it and squeezed the metal tab a little more so it would eliminate the play. The backfiring was eliminated however, it still hesitates on right turns and if I press hard on the accelerator, it also begins to stall as if its sucking air. It will drive smoothly if I feather the gas.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  21. Check that the carb mounting bolts are snug. And if the carb has a separate throttle body and float bowl, make sure the screws connecting the two are snug and that the gasket is intact.

carbking likes this.
  22. carbking

carbking

Try the fix suggested by Clay in the post above first.

If that doesn't help, check the float level in the carburetor.

Also check to see if some previous owner had installed the "two-ball" type fuel valve; they do not work well on this type of application.

Jon.

23. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I had the same issue with a Holley double pump, would give me issues with going around the traffic circle. turn out to be a float issue.

24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Float level?? It's only been a couple days so far, with twenty three (23) posts. Need a few more pages, maybe a week or ten days, before we get into that.