Register now to get rid of these ads!

spun bearing...fix?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave s, Mar 4, 2006.

1. dave s

dave s

i've got a question. i spun a rod bearing and now i need to know what to do.

the crank isnt torn up to bad, and there are no big ruts or divits in it, or the rod. should i clean it up with some emery cloth and mic it for a new bearing, or do i have to pull the whole crank to get it turned and fit for a new bearing??

i heard about mechanics back in the day cleaning the crank up and putting a new bearing in and calling it good... will it last?

2. squirrel

squirrel

mic it and see how out of round it is. If it's over half a thou, you'd better fix it right, unless you don't mind going thru all this again after a few months. You do need to get the rod resized, regardless of what you do with the crank.

3. you should pull the main cap ajacent to that rod journal and inspect the bearings. A main bearing may have turned just enough to starve the rod of oil. If thats the case the crank is gonna have to come out anyway.:(

4. Rusty Kustoms

Rusty Kustoms

hey dave, that sucks that it was a rod bearing, if i were you i would look into getting a remanufactued crank and rod then you dont have to worry about a thing. thats just my opinion

5. Pull the crank. There has to be a reason for the bearing to fail. The rest of your motor is full of trash from that bearing.