Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical spring spreader price Ebay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gus gustafson, Jun 23, 2018.

1. gus gustafson

gus gustafson

Have 37 rear spring I need to remove, and saw this spreader on Ebay for $1,138.95 (m.a.c.s.) 150786515709 don't mind paying for good work , but I was wondering what's up with the price? when others to be had for lots less? ... I know there's lots of home made on this site also , but I'm just wondering ? tried to load a pic ,but not working, thk/u. gus

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

It must be a misprint. Think it should be $139.95 based on his front spreader.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  3. gus gustafson

gus gustafson

Thanks , needed some support b4 I emailed them , didn't want to ambush myself incase it was made of Titanium..thk/u. gus

4. Threads on this subject= make your own, save $

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you make one you need at least 1inch all thread, doing a search I saw at least one that a guy made that was way too light in the threaded rod size.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you happen to have a big turnbuckle you can use it to make a spreader.
    Doesn't need to be 1 1/2 in. dia. Rent a Port-A-Power.

Attached Files:

7. BigEd

BigEd

8. And for reversed eyes ? :p

9. zzford

zzford

A REAL man does it by hand!

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

its easy when you break the pack down

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Fastenal sells a 1 in diameter 12 inch take up turnbuckle with plain ends and a 24 inch closed length for $76.72. Part number 43194. Grind the ends to a chisel point and it should work great.
    [​IMG]

12. Fogger

Fogger

I've owned transverse sprung Fords since I was 13 and never used any type of spreader to remove or install a spring. A couple of "C" clamps to hold the spring pack together, loosen the center bolt and loosen the clamps. When installing the spring start with the main leaf first and after its attached to the axle stack the remaining and tighten the clamps. Doesn't matter if its a stock main leaf or has reversed eyes. It's really too simple and doesn't require a spreader.

Chris likes this.
  13. HAHA
    Right , you don't need it nor can use it.
    Same as any spring

14. gus gustafson

gus gustafson

My rear spring is wrapped in sheet metal with zerks , so I guess i'll take a chisel and unwrap ?, when reassembling with clamps do you need a few the spring brackets around the leafs to keep leafs aligned once assembled ?
    thk/u. for all for your time, gus....

15. If you unwrap the spring then yes, you cut the wrapping off. It will be full of grease and probably really gross. After installing (and not wrapping it) then yes, a spring clamp on each side is a good idea.

I have a spring spreader, but every car I have is a reverse eye, so I don't use it much. What I do is put the main leaf on by hand, and use a long piece of all-thread through the spring bolt hole. Start stacking the leaves with the all-thread going through the center. Once complete, put a nut on the all thread (top and bottom) and start cranking the spring together. When it starts getting pretty wound, I use a C clamp on each side for safety. Wind the nut on the all-thread a turn or two, tighten C clamps, repeat. Once all the way down, make sure your C clamps are tight and remove all-thread. install center bolt and you're done. Really a simple process.

bchctybob likes this.
  16. For reversed eyes I clamp a flat tube with stays and rollers across the arch, attach the spring then slip the axle spring assembly into the cross member. It's easy I do it for regular springs too.

17. That's how I do it as well. Works just fine.