Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spring perch spacing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Woodster, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

I put a T-5 behind my 8BA and want to also use the S-10 rear in my '32 pick up. It's a bit narrow and my rear spring perches are about one inch narrower (47" vs 48") than the stock '32 rear and I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem and I need to find another rear end. My spring has 44" eye to eye.

If the spring perch spacing is going to be a problem and I need to find a new rear does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement?

Thanks,
    Gary O

2. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Just change the main leaf, if any of the next 3 leaves are too long just shorten them up

3. 2935ford

2935ford

Do you have the stock rear banjo? That's what I used on my truck with a mild 265 bored to a 283, 4bbl.
    That way no need to mess with the spring setup. Just removed a few leaves and reverse eye the main. You would need to convert to open drive for your use and/or maybe parallel leaves but you can get all that and the install is pretty easy.
    a some 072a.jpg

catdad49 and Nailhead Jason like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tasty truck, 2935... Love the stock length bed, stance is enviable.

5. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Relocate the spring perch to what you need

6. 2935ford

2935ford

Thanks.
    Unfortunately......it's no longer mine! :(

7. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Love the stance of your truck! I plan on using my truck as a daily driver (some freeway) so I went with the later rear. I thought about using the stock one for a while though.

8. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Men, thank you for your responses but I may not have made my problem clear. 46" is the maximum I can place the perches (photo below) but they're at 48" on the stock rear. Another problem with this rear is that I need to order wheels with a 2' backspace to clear the bed sides, limiting the wheel styles available. I used to have a poster in my shop that said "doing it right the first time is doing it the easy way" and this is a good example of me fighting doing it right/the easy way.

So I spent some time at Pick n Pull this morning and found that a '97+/- Blazer rear measures 59", face to face whereas the S-10 rear I have is about 54". The Blazer will allow me to space the perches correctly and use standard backspace wheels. I'm just out a few bucks for the rear but I can turn in the S-10 unit for the core.

Thanks for the feedback!

DSC01756.JPG

9. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Not all S-10 rear ends are the same 4 X 4 are wider by 4" can't if I remember correctly put one on a 38 Chevy P/U and relocated spring perch

10. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

Oh,sure , NOW I learn that!!!! HAHAHAHAAA!!!! The new one is 5" wider...... perfect width. New one has disc brakes, too
    DSC01759a.jpg