Register now to get rid of these ads!

spring in front of axle for 32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RodLand, Dec 30, 2005.

1. RodLand

RodLand

I have seen 32 frame with later front axle, spring in front. I was wondring if this efected the looks of a fenderless car. To my thinking this would place the wheels 2 to 3 inches back. But it would give me some lowering without a drop axle. Any pros or cons with this? Anybody don this?:confused:

2. This is a practical but not very common set up. There are two problems:

The first is that it takes several inches off the wheel base. This hurts ride quality. The stock 32s wheelbase is 106". You can move the front crossmember forward 1". But this will not get you back to zero. I have a 32 with the stretched 107" wheelbase and the ride is still choppy on some roads, particularly over concrete pavement with expansion joints.

The second is the way it looks. Just a little odd to my eye.

In my mind nothing looks better from the front than a 32 grille shell sitting over a dropped axle. Classic.

Attached Files:

3. Flatman

Flatman

I slung my spring behind my axle, mounted to the batwings. It moved the axle forward 3 or 4 inches, but dropped the frame from 24" to 17" at the top of the rail. Problem is the frame horns have to be notched out to give the axle room to travel (that and figuring where to mount the shocks)

Flatman

4. here ya go= Model a[30] roadster 32 frame

stock no dropped axle-spring mount moved from ahead of axle to radius rods-model A front spring is in an A frt crossmember and axle is ahead of said crossmember=3" "swept"-32 frame with 106" wheelbase

Attached Files:

• d7c7.jpg
      d7c7.jpg
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
    • 34.JPG
      34.JPG
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views: