Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spring in front, anyone do this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jobbless, May 22, 2011.

1. jobbless

jobbless

Well I started to build my chassis, and ended up with 46 wishbones in the front. So I thought it would make more room by moving the front crossmember forward. And taking advantage of the spring hangers already on my wishbones. I think it looks ok. Any one else do this? Or should I put the spring on top of the axle?

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

Can you post some photos of this setup?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way back when it was done a lot if you look through photos in early rod magaznes. I think some guys back then may have swapped the whole front ends onto Model A's rather then trying to swap spindles and brakes.

4. Mart

Mart

If it's an A or 32 then it will look odd. The wheel [placement will be too far back and the wheelbase and the relationship between the grille and wheels will look odd.

This was done in the past but it didn't look good then, and it doesn't look any better now.

If it's a 33-34 then the crossmember can be moved forward and you can get the axle in the right place and lose the forward mounted spring within the slope of the grille.

35-up had forward mounted spring anyway.

If you want the car to look good, and it's a 28-32, you need the spring on top.

The exception to this is to mount the spring behind, suicide style, but that wasn't what you asked.

Mart.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

save your money - buy a camera, then ask again with photos

6. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

does it look like THIS?

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      132 KB
      Views:
  7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

...and here's the exception to the rule.

[​IMG]

8. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

^I cant see much in the way of a spring up front there.^

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Even that one, as bitchin as it is, would look better if the spring was in the back or the crossmember raised and the spring was on top. Everyone I've ever seen mounted like that on a pre 36 looked like the front suspension was driven hard into a curb and pushed back.

Frank

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. Mart

Mart

Yes, the 32 looks great, and may just about be getting away with it, but it would still look even better with a little more wheelbase. The Kerbed and pushed back look that Frank describes above applies. I suppose it looks worse in A's because the shorter wheelbase and flatter rad accentuates the setback even more.

11. jobbless

jobbless

I am putting my 30 roadster on 32 rails. The front crossmember is moved forward to keep the proper wheel base. I did it on the first frame I put together. Just figure I would ask if I should do it to the 32 frame.

12. jobbless

jobbless

13. jobbless

jobbless

14. here ya go jobbless

Attached Files:

15. atch

atch

16. jobbless

jobbless

17. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Read the posts. He moved the cross member forward to maintain the original wheel base.

18. jobbless

jobbless

Getting a few negative responses. If I move the spring on top it will raise the chassis 4 inches or so. I kind of like it so low without cutting up the new rails.

19. no problem johnny

20. F&J

F&J

That's part of the reason it was done decades ago: (lower the front without buying a dropped axle) They would use the spring ahead axle to get a drop, and get hyd brakes at the same time.

Lots were done around my area and some survive to this day. Many used a 39 donor for both F and R axles, pedals and even the motor/trans.

21. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

The "negs" did not read that you moved the cross member forward and the axle is still in the stock position. You are correct that this is a way to lower the front end without a dropped axle. Some posters only read part of a post and then respond without having all of the facts.

22. jobbless

jobbless

Does anyone have any pics of cars done this way? With the crossmember moved forward?

23. earlygrill1.jpg

_Bob-Wright-Roadster-12.jpg

This is all I can find at a quick glance at my pics. Do it man, if you move the X member forward it will look good. Jimmy White (circle city) has it on has couple also.

Do a search this has been talked about before.

24. I did my A pickup that way. I was/am too cheap to buy a dropped axle and later found out that they did it this way back in the day so I was happy I did it in the long run anyways. My original plan was to put the fenders back on it, so I didn't place the crossmember the same amount forward as the spring offset is. (A stock A with fenders to me has the tires too far forward).

Attached Files:

25. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Go for it. it is a really cool early lowering technique that somehow fell out of favour once dropped axles became commonly available (and cheaper), As long as moving the crossmember forward doesnt open up too many other cans of worms (radiator mounting and grille shell being the main one) I say go for it.

26. Mart

Mart

Moving the crossmember forward will correct the wheelbase, but will mean having to mount the grille further forward too, which could look goofy.

Mart.

27. I'm running a 39' front end set up with split bones and wide 5's on my 30' Chrysler coupe project. I'm using the original Chrysler frame which has higher kick in the front which gives it a different look. I made my own front x-member so I positioned it where ever I needed it to go. The car had a factory straight 8 motor so the frame was longer and I had more to work with in the front. I think the spring in the front setup's look cool and I also did it to give it a different look, kinda like going to a show and seeing 500 32' Fords parked there and they all look the same with the same catalog bought parts on em!

28. It may depend what grille you are planning to run also. My model A rad and grille are mounted in the stock location at the stock height. If you were to run a 32 shell, then it may be somewhat of a problem.

29. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

30. pcterm2

pcterm2

[​IMG]

here is one for you jobbless