Register now to get rid of these ads!

SPLIT RIMS:who still services them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terrafirma66, Jan 29, 2008.

1. terrafirma66

terrafirma66
    from tampa fla

here in Florida or heck elsewhere if I have too.. (1947 dodge flat bed w/ six split rim wheels.

2. Oggie

Oggie
    from Nor Cal

I had a truck stop do mine, because they had the cage it required, but I had mine done a long time ago.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker

Goto a commecial truck tire installation facitlity.Had to do that up here a while back.

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

farm tire stores although I doubt you have them in Tampa

5. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

You have to find some old timer like my father who has been doing it for years to get those rings seated just right during air up.

6. truckdog62563

truckdog62563

Generally I'll agree with the others, but with one big exception. If you have multi-part rims that look like this picture, you really need to start looking for replacements. These Budd style "side ring" rims use a Firestone outer rim known as an RH-5° design. These are the bad ones that reputable tire service shops won't touch anymore for insurance/liability reasons. "Lock ring" style outer rims made by Firestone or Goodyear are still serviced if they are not seriously damaged/rusted. Commercial big truck shops see these every day because demountable Dayton style rims in "lock ring" designs are still being sold today.

Attached Files:

7. i know a place here in ky that still does "widow makers" but shipping would kill you.

8. And that is for a reason, too. Rust can wedge the two rim sections apart, and it is a hell of a mess. Don't ask me how I know.:rolleyes: